Josh's 5g pico with Flual Spec V

brackish10

Ive already started the cycling process, but im starting this thread about a week and a half after initial setup.
I'm running a Fluval Spec V. Currently, the only mod to the tank is a piece of duct tape on the inside filter panel that is blocking a small slit that goes through to the main tank. This forces all the water to overflow thru the stock sponge holding a carbon bag and a filter media (ceramics) bag.
I have a 25w submersible heater in the outflow chamber. I've added a floating suction thermometer and a small suction cup soap dish to hold cheato.
I'm using coarse crushed coral for substrate and have a 7lb live rock.
After a week i added the yellow tail damsel.
brackish10-albums-5g-pico-reef-picture24915t-my-view-front.jpg

Main View
brackish10-albums-5g-pico-reef-picture24916t-top-lid-removed.jpg

Top of filter area (lid removed)
brackish10-albums-5g-pico-reef-picture24917t-down-side.jpg

Looking down the side

Last edited:

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Glad to know another pico owner :) mine was started at just about the same time as yours so it should be a fun journey for us...I hope haha

brackish10

Ok, so after hearing from many user that i could break my lr into smaller peices, by simple hitting it with a hammer and chisel, i tried. It took half an hour and i effed up a lot of my purple coralline algea. It finally broke into 2 peices right where i wanted it to. Unfortunately, it also resulted in the demise of a cluster of barnicles that was active prior to the breaking process. Iwillprobably break one of the now 2 rocks that i have 1 more time as it is still a bit bulky. But ill see how i feel in a bit. heres pics.
En2-SVUXwNdiOj0wxIy_pbLJahtb4SI75Uj6yU0qDw=w276-h207-p-no

Current view. forgive the cloudiness, this was taken immediately after placing it back in.
CAM00906.jpg

you can see where the coralline got a bit buffed :-(
CAM00907.jpg

This one is still pretty tho. :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
With such a small tank and limited filtration, you might want to consider removing the crushed coral substrate and replace it with a Carib Sea Seaflor Aragonite Sand (or similar) as it may cause you issues over the long haul.

brackish10

With such a small tank and limited filtration, you might want to consider removing the crushed coral substrate and replace it with a Carib Sea Seaflor Aragonite Sand (or similar) as it may cause you issues over the long haul.

is there a way to switch without starting completely over?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah you can just remove it. In a pico I think fine sand would be good.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
PSU4ME has a good point. Since you won't have a lot of water flow, a fine sand might just be a better idea than my original recommendation of Carib Sea. Either way, getting rid of the crushed coral is the smart thing to do.

brackish10

i plan on adding a little more water flow. but ill try to add some thick sand. how can i do so without making my tank a total clad tho.... i do have that damsel in there.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No matter what you do there will be a cloud, but it is nothing to worry about. It will settle out after about 24 hours or so.

I would take it and put the sand in a cup and slowly place it on the bottom of the tank. With a pico, this should go pretty quickly, just try and place it gently!

brackish10

o,but ll wait a fw checks. also, i am moving soon and will not have the webs for about a month or 2, so ill do lots of updating then

brackish10

got two Atlantic turbo snails and a Nerite in the tank to clean up some hair algea., but now it looks like a diatom bloom on my lr but could it just be snail Poo?
CAM00917
CAM00918

photo.jpg

i ask because i thought they cleaned both poo and diatoms, so anyone have an idea on what these are?
also, i won have muchaccess to a computer, so ill occasionally have to post a link to my picasa acct, but i only have 1 album with "reef sanctuary" as the name, so please, if i ask a question with a link posted, click thru to see the pic. Thank you all for your help. Yall are awesome.

Last edited:

brackish10

CAM00943
Rescaped again after adding a peppermint shrimp. Hes hiding in back, but i was wondering what the white specs on my glass were? copepods? i got them after i added the fiji lr.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yes, most likely copepods which are a good thing. Hopefully their population will explode as the tank matures.

brackish10

Good thats what i thought. perhaps my future clowns will be eating for free. :) j/k i have the formula 1 drop pellets (small) for a primary food source. i also found some interesting-ness... the "diatoms" on my lr, werent. yesterday, after i fed, one piece of food was on my lr and i witnessed the small wormlike things that i thought looked like snail poo, eating the one pellet. now i have to do research and ask, can these harm my coral later? theres a picture a few posts up, look in the circles.

brackish10

I got some coral in my tank finally. I got it for a steal from someone tearing down a huge reef.
green nukes
CAM01031.jpg

red zoas
CAM01032.jpg

Some mystery zoas and gsp (not opened in this picture
20130819_170339_2

I've also got a par 38 bulb wit gooseneck clamp and dimmer on the way. it will be 2 white, 7 blue, 2 violet and 1 red. cant wait. ill be using it in addition to the stock lighting. Ill upload a pic when i get them in.

brackish10

Im really bad at impulse buying for this tank. went to the store for "IO Reef crystals" and walked out with that and a coral banded shrimp.
CAM01040.jpg

Last edited: