Josh's 40 tall

StirCrayzy

Ok So the history is, I started my first SW tank as a 29g Fish Only after seeing a friends tank. I got a turquoise damsel and some unknown bottle of Biostuff to start things moving, and a ocellaris clown after what seemed like an eternity to cycle. I then bought a few more fish That lasted maybe 6 months, became bored with the Fake coral i got from a friend named Tim, and wanted to see life blooming. I had been strictly FW for 7 years prior, and needed lots of guidance. Luckily for me, LFS had a guy named Greg who led me through most of my intial learning curve. Together me and Tim learned the sport of reefing ! Started with a skilter HOB, penguin PH , 30 lbs of CC, 40lbs of LR (over the course of a few months) , 2 24" T-12s which were sufficient for the fish, and even live rock, but when i wanted to start adding corals, i switched to a 30"JBJ PC fixture a year later. At this point i also started travelling out of town for 3 of 4 weeks per month, some months only returning for a few Saturdays/Sundays (thus i was introduced to the automatic feeder) :thumbup: . The ensuing algae bloom was uncontrollable given my experience and diagnosis skill, and im not sure how my clowns mushrooms and crabs made it through. the rest of my fish at the time had perished when i arrived home after a trip(Koran angel, Flame angel, scooter blenny):tears: Only about 1 year into my SW experience. I vowed to learn as much as possible to avoid massive die off like this from happening again. I didnt have a camera then, the pics wouldve blown minds.

SO... I moved everything out of the tank, and instead of cleaning it, i put it to the curb with a "FREE" sign, and bought a 40 tall to sit on the stand.
Problem solved. bought a new Eheim professional 2 canister, Prizm HOB and an extra powerhead. This apparently works for the situation. I then made a small acrylic QT just in case. throughout the next few years ive added a few fish, lost a few to getting stuck in rocks, eaten by anemone, and i think one waskilled by fireworms(saw fish twitching in the clutches of a nightcrawler sized specimen. 2 years ago i had Bristleworms "EVERYWHERE" i attributed them to some mysterious fish disappearances and took action against them.
LFS Greg recommended a High salinity dip, so i think somewhere around 1.038
i removed every rock and dipped em in. There were literally thousands of these worms that poured out of every orifice of the rocks. afterwards i had rinsed each rock in FW and returned about half of them (30 lbs) to the tank.
I now had an extremely open rockscaping design to prevent "stucks" and keep an eye on all areas. this was much appreciated by my fish i think.
They love swimming through the obstacle course. this worked out well as i had to rescue a Tang from our company tank at work, he needs the room.

Im sure i will remember more about the story, but at a few requests, i wanted to get something up to show my background. Overall Ive been Reefing for about 9 years now (my original Ocellaris is stilll alive, and his partner is about 1.5 years younger), and FW S.American cichlids for about 20years. I Love this hobby, and will have fish the rest of my life im sure.:yup: :woohoo:

StirCrayzy

My last major setup change was 3 years ago when i moved to my first house.
i figured sincei had the fish out of the tank, i could stir things up a bit. I swapped 2" of Crushed Coral for 50lbs of AragAlive indo pacific sand, this got me a little less than 2".
IMG_1103.jpg

I guess if there is one thing i struggled with for the last couple years it is my skimmer. i can get it set just right once in a while, but until 6 months ago i would always get surface film for a couple days after topping off. I know this could be solved with more disruption from my upper powerhead, problem is if i point higher, i get splashes as the water goes down. I finally stumbled across a surface skimmer attachment for universal use. See upper right of below picture.
This pic also shows my problem with that attachment, wont stay stuck. Plus in a tank as smalll as mine, it was very cluttered.
IMG 1675 - ReefSpace

I solved this a few weeks ago by making an overflow intake box for the prizm
IMG 1675 - ReefSpace
I love to build and create stuff.

i'll have to fix these pics later sorry

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

By the way, anyone can feel free to criticize, comment, make fun of , or otherwise question any one or many of the insightful or moronic things that i have done, am doing, or will do, in this wonderfully ridiculous adventure i call my life.
Thanks for stoppin' by
!! :goofy: ~ :turntable :turntable :turntable ~ :goofy:

StirCrayzy

Newest eqipment

Dual Actinic 420/460 :yup:
IMG_0820.jpg

Homemade prizm overflow

Attachments

• IMG_1675a.jpg
    IMG_1675a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 232

StirCrayzy

about 8 years i think for the 40 gal, which started with some rocks and fishfrom the 29, which was up for a yearish before that . pardon my lack of an exact timetable, i was going through a very "fuzzy" time period of my life.

acemow

I like the new actinics. Very cool! Is that a red mandarin in the pic you posted 5/19? That's my favorite fish. I'm still too green to have one though!

Last edited:

novanosis

Young if they already have it in there, lets not say anything. But if they ask lets tell them. I am 100% sure if they have it already they wont return it. We would just waste our time. ya know?

But he is right, 40 with a tang. Not good.

StirCrayzy

green mandarin actually, and this one is the most stubborn so far. ive had 3
1st one ate frozen mysis immediately
2nd one wouldnt eat anything so i gave him back.
this 3rd one is on track to go back because hes not gettting past Live BBS.
and hes starting to ignore pods. so 3 months of training are not working for him.

The Tang was a rescue from our work tank which cracked. i didnt have a lot of time to look up much more than diet, ick, and temperment, and apparently missed the lateral swimming requirements. hes going to a buddy when his 90 is ready next week. His temperment seems exceptional for what i read now about tank requirements. i do appreciate the concern though, i would feel bad if i saw him constantly banging off the glass, but it seems as though he likes swerving in and out of my open stacked rocks.

novanosis

well make you feel better, no one should say anything since these fish were swimming to unlimited room in the ocean....

jgking21

Question for you, what is up with the overflow for the prizm? Are you going for the surface skimming? I've got a prizm on my 25, does the unit work better with that?

StirCrayzy

Question for you, what is up with the overflow for the prizm? Are you going for the surface skimming? I've got a prizm on my 25, does the unit work better with that?

Yes i needed surface skimming badly, didnt want to pay for and try to adapt the "Deluxe upgrade". apparently the newest style prizms design is not backward compatible to mine which is pretty old (pre - deluxe option)

It works awesome, crystal clear surface, much better than underwater pickup.

the first one i tried was one of those $10 universal surface attachments:doh: piece of crap.
second one was a homemade box, but put too many slots in it and it barely broke the surface tension.
Current Revision 3 box is gonna come out because i cemented it to the pickup tube so it is not easily cleaned of debris. im just gonna add on a hanger to the box so it stays on the tank instead, and the pickup tube can drop right in.
I shoulda known better, funny how sometimes the obvious can be so elusive. :smack:

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

ive found acrylic very easy to work with, plus i scavenge small scraps from work. Here is a 2g tank i built for my turtle out of scrap 6 years ago. believe it or not, hes not outgrown it yet. i ve been getting ready to turn my 65g Cichlid tank into a paludarium when the turtle needed to move. *next winter* project anyways.
IMG_8885.jpg
IMG_3704.jpg

StirCrayzy

One thing i have learned over the years is that fish types have generalized behavior patterns, some are perfect examples, and some defy all logic. i have witnessed many specimens over my years as im sure most everyone here has also. I am uploading a couple videos to Reefspace at the moment. the side view shows the average mannerisms of all my fish. shy tang, semiaggressive pseudo, newest clarkii,

BBS feeding time
MVI 1786 - ReefSpace
Side view
MVI 1783 - ReefSpace