Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

Pancho75

I have never had a puffer they seem to be very interesting though, I stayed away because I thought they were not reef safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

chickenjohn

I have never had a puffer they seem to be very interesting though, I stayed away because I thought they were not reef safe.
From what I have read the valentini is reef safe but will eat snails, shrimp, crabs etc, but like most things there are the odd ones who say 'My fish ate all my corals' . Other puffers I wouldn't be so sure about. My own personal opinion is if you keep fish from being hungry then they will be fine, but as with any animal there is always going to be a rogue one.

Collo

Im actually thinking of getting a 750xxl for an aggressive tank and fill it with triggers, puffers, eels, lionfish, etc but that wont happen for a year or two yet but that will be my next projrct

Id love to do that too (less the eels, not a fan) Theres a guy on youtube Nathan Wilard who did exactly that (well hes closed it down and got a red sea nano, but his previous tank was a predator tank

chickenjohn

So was up early and decided to do a full batch of testing just to see where im at, results as follows.
temp 26.0
salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
ammonia 0.8
nitrite 0.2
nitrate 20
calcium 440
magnesium 1390
alkalinity 7.7 (looking to run it at 8)
phosphate 0.002

Not sure what is using alk and ive not had any algae outbreak yet which is a bit worrying.

Pancho75

So was up early and decided to do a full batch of testing just to see where im at, results as follows.
temp 26.0
salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
ammonia 0.8
nitrite 0.2
nitrate 20
calcium 440
magnesium 1390
alkalinity 7.7 (looking to run it at 8)
phosphate 0.002

Not sure what is using alk and ive not had any algae outbreak yet which is a bit worrying.
That is a bit weird, I never had a tank that never went through algae blooms... are we still talking about a reef? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk