Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

SPR

Sorry just caught up as wasnt getting alerts, thought you had gone quiet! Lol

Its interesting you and @Collo have both ditched the new Red Sea Skimmers which doesn’t sound that impressive

If i was in charge at Red Sea I would be putting the best quality skimmers in, or at least offering an upgrade. Maybe its cost cutting to increase profits like the stools.

chickenjohn

Bit of advice please gents.
Im getting different answers from the question how soon to start adding corals, some say straight away, some say 4 months and others say anywhere in between, I think you guys know what you are doling (looking at your tanks) so what would be the time to start adding corals?

SPR

Bit of advice please gents.
Im getting different answers from the question how soon to start adding corals, some say straight away, some say 4 months and others say anywhere in between, I think you guys know what you are doling (looking at your tanks) so what would be the time to start adding corals?
As soon as your water parameters are stable enough for LPS and soft, but you may find you struggle with SPS until the tank has matured a little.

Keep your nutrient levels under control from the start, lock down phosphate very low at around 0.03ppm and keep nitrates around 5-10 and you should avoid many of the issues you read about.

If you get some easy corals like green star polyp and there are many others you could add them straight away, I did anyway.

The key is stability of your water parameters, that’s it.

SPR

I want a sps only tank so don't really want to add soft or lps corals
Well I would get your water parameters locked and stable and then try and see how you get on

I struggled with SPS until the system matured at around 12 months, they tended to ‘brown out’ probably because of nutrient levels (I had a lot of fish and at the time nothing to really control phosphate). I was also running the Red Sea Accelerated growth program (higher foundation element levels) so I think it my case the browning was due to excess zooxanthellae being present from a combination of these factors. But then again I wasn’t keeping an SPS tank so it didn’t really matter.

You also need to ensure you don’t starve them with the system being new (very low nutrient levels) so I think it will be a bit of trial and error for the first few months. Maybe look at Red Sea Reef Energy or Reef Roids for feeding them

Problem is, as you will know, they tend to be very expensive for what you get.

chickenjohn

I think I will concentrate on fish stock first, then get params absolutely stable constant for a month. then start to add corals. Does this sound like a plan?
Planning on running the full red sea program except the reef energy as im going with acropower purely because it can be used on a doser.

SPR

I think I will concentrate on fish stock first, then get params absolutely stable constant for a month. then start to add corals. Does this sound like a plan?
Planning on running the full red sea program except the reef energy as im going with acropower purely because it can be used on a doser.

Yes that sounds like a good way forward (if your patient! Lol)

Nobbygas

How's the cycle going? Must be nearly finished by now. TBH I'm amazed how good the ATM colony is, 2 bottles followed by fish, almost 2 weeks later - no nitrite, nitrate or ammonia
I used ATM Colony when I started my S-650 and I was really happy with it. Good product and does what it says it will do.