Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

chickenjohn

What a day its been, England in the Cricket, nearly as good as Bothams ashes in '81.
And ive done a bit with the profilux 4.
Its took all day just to get where I am with it, Ive got it connected to wifi, home network and cloud, ive installed the ph and temp probes, (ph probe is on Discus tank).
Ive installed the leak detectors, and that's it.
Next step is to add equipment I want to add like skimmer, return pump, heaters etc and then to program the profilux to do all the things I want it to do such as turn things off if this or that happens etc.
First impressions is WOW! what a piece of kit, from what ive read and a quick look at what it can do is amazing, but its gonna be a learning curve, so more reading and more playing ahead.
Really pleased I bought this.
Also looking at the KH Director for when I need to control alk, and apparently there is an auto feeder coming late 2019/early 2020 so happy days.
Will be good to compare it to Apex.

chickenjohn

Just a little update.
As im getting closer and closer to adding corals ive sorted out all my lights and wavemakers to how i want them,
Ive set the 2 MP40's to reef crest mode, anti-sync, maximum 60%
Ive set the 2 Gyre 250's to random mode, Maximum 70%, minimum 30%
Ive set the 3 Hydra 26HD lights to the David Saxby settings but have adjusted the on and off times to suit me better.
The foxface and puffer are doing fine in the dt and are now coming out more and showing more natural behaviour.
The purple firefish in the qt is doing fine and showing no sign of disease or stress.
Forgot to mention ive took out my Marine pure block and replaced it with 2 litres of Seachem Matrix, this was purely a space saving thing .
Water params are looking good so cant wait to start adding corals.
Still trying to get my head around my Profilux 4.

SPR

Just a little update.
As im getting closer and closer to adding corals ive sorted out all my lights and wavemakers to how i want them,
Ive set the 2 MP40's to reef crest mode, anti-sync, maximum 60%
Ive set the 2 Gyre 250's to random mode, Maximum 70%, minimum 30%
Ive set the 3 Hydra 26HD lights to the David Saxby settings but have adjusted the on and off times to suit me better.
The foxface and puffer are doing fine in the dt and are now coming out more and showing more natural behaviour.
The purple firefish in the qt is doing fine and showing no sign of disease or stress.
Forgot to mention ive took out my Marine pure block and replaced it with 2 litres of Seachem Matrix, this was purely a space saving thing .
Water params are looking good so cant wait to start adding corals.
Still trying to get my head around my Profilux 4.
Sounds like your good to go so off to the shop with you then!

Is the puffer reef safe by the way, because I know most aren’t?

SPR

Any recommendations for some first corals?
Well I used to just wander into the shop and come out with whatever I liked the look of. My first coral was a leather coral which I still have in the centre of my tank. It’s one of the only corals that has never had a permanent fixing, funny that.

Unless you have specific plans for the tank, like I have with the new one, go whatever you like. I like Green Star Polyp which is easy, but it grows and spreads.

I would avoid Xenia as it’s very invasive although beautiful and it will pop up everywhere

I’m also not having any more montipora as once it gets hold it starts to mummify anything around it. This is something I’ve learned as I took lots of frags as the system evolved so I have it all over.

There are SPS but it depends on your water quality etc

SPR

I’m sorry pal, those guys should have better customer service. I haven’t heard great things about Neptune customer support either.
If you have any issues or need help with Apex just go to the forum, the guys are very helpful as most of the things you might want to do have already been done. Infact most is now set up as wizards in the software. But you shouldn’t need much help it’s very easy.

John, looks like GHL have come back with a reply for you in latest post