jks1 210g from the beginning

jks1

Well, I wanted a bigger tank, so after looking at several I settled on an acrylic 210g. It has two bottom and top skimming overflows, flat black back, and is drilled for the closed loop.

For equipment, where to begin:

I built the stand and canopy myself.

Sump- 75g glass tank with baffles creating three compartments. One for drains from overflows and skimmer, one for return pump to the tank, and a large compartment used as a refugium.

Lights- 3 400W 10K XM MH on parabloic reflectors, 2 96W actinic 03 PCs. One 25W incandescent moonlight.

Skimmer- Aqua C EV180 w/ 5L auto whaste container. Skimmer is driven by dedicated MAG7 pump.

Pumps- MAG24 return pump submerged in sump. 2 MAG24 pumps run externally for closed loop. Dedicated Penguin PH for chiller/UV.

Calcium Reactor- Marine Life Aquatics CR500 calcium reactor w/ dedicated Eheim 1250 pump and 20lb CO2 bottle. Dual stage regulator with solonoid and neele valve.

Misc- 1/5HP Aquanetics Chiller, 350W Titanium heater, grounding probe, Neptune Systems Aquacontroller monitoring PH, Temp, and ORP, 25W Angstrom UV.

Approx 175lbs fresh uncured Kaelini rock, and 40lbs fresh uncured Fiji rock. Will add shallow sand bed after rock cures fully.

Tank was set-up on 24 Mar, Kaelini LR added. 40lbs Fiji was added 1 Apr.

jks1

I havent figured out how to attach multiple pics to a single reply so bear with me..

jks1

The plan here is for an SPS/Clam reef. I left the space in the center for a clam garden. Ill be posting as it comes along.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
John, I'm so excited to watch you progress with this tank. Looking forward to more pictures!

jks1

you better start your own thread nikki... we want to see your coming together as well

semigodd154

awesome aquascaping very nice LR you did a nice job on the stand and canopy as well and you should have no shortage of water movement in the tank either this setup really looks top notch.

Gina

RS STAFF
Like the open spaces you have! Good job on aquascaping. Excellent job on the stand!

I assume you are going BB?

jks1

Thanks all, actually Gina Im going to go SSB. Im just going to wait out the cure process before I add the sand- easier to siphon off dying stuff that way.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Awesome job!! Like Nikki, I'll be keeping a close watch on this thread, it is really cool to see a tank come together!! The rock work looks great and you did a heck of a job on the stand and canopy!! How bout some pics of the sump and equipment?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
John do you have any concerns with water possibly splashing and getting on your bulbs or having a moisture problem ?

I noticed you don't have any cover over your lights. I'm getting my new setup in another couple of weeks and I want to get a retro kit but I'm afraid of possible problems.

jks1

Alrighty- heres some shots of stand construction:

17new_210_tank_008_Medium_-med.jpg

17new_210_tank_009_Medium_-med.jpg

17new_210_tank_015_Medium_-med.jpg

Edited to show pics ~RL

jks1

cheeks- my bulbs are 11 inches from the surface of the water so shouldnt be an issue with splashing unless I get careless. Also the tank has euro- style bracing on the top. I personally think covers will reflect light and defeat what I'm trying to do which is get the most light posible to the corals- there's no cover over the sun.. HTH