I've changed my lighting schedule.

BigJay

if your keeping tropical species you should look at the typical photo period. Ie in South Florida the sun rises around 7 am this time of year and sets at around 8 pm so thats a 13 hour photo period. Some people have suggested a shorter period of halides due to over saturation but they are still running supplemental lighting when the halides are off.
I personally try to mimic the tropical photo period with 13 hours on and 11 hours off.

W Churchill

if your keeping tropical species you should look at the typical photo period. Ie in South Florida the sun rises around 7 am this time of year and sets at around 8 pm so thats a 13 hour photo period. Some people have suggested a shorter period of halides due to over saturation but they are still running supplemental lighting when the halides are off.
I personally try to mimic the tropical photo period with 13 hours on and 11 hours off.

Would that be 13 hours of white light which I think might be a bit of a nightmare for algae at the moment or could I pump my blue light period up to 13 hours and limit white light.

I assume at 8 at night while the sun may still be up in Florida, it's penetration into sea water is minimal because of the angle it strikes the water.

BigJay

yeah I only run my 10k's for 9 hours. My actinics come on 2 hours before and 2 hours after my 10k's.