It's been a while guys! (new questions)

reefle

Hey Yall,

After breaking down my previous tank, I am ready to start a new one! its a cool 4x4x16" rimless. It's in it's own fish room and the stand will double as a bar. I'll start a chronicle for it, but I have a couple questions first.

So currently the ceiling has a fan/light on it and is directly above the tank. This will get in the way of the radions so I was thinking about removing that fixture and adding an outlet to the ceiling and plugging my radions there (putting a faceplate on the light switch as well). Has anyone done such a thing? Is this a good idea or would you rather route the light wires from an existing outlet.

Reefle

yungreefer2410

I'm almost positive there are many YouTube videos showing how someone would do such a thing. I would give that a search and see what you find.

Squatch XXL

Has anyone done such a thing? Is this a good idea or would you rather route the light wires from an existing outlet.
I have not, but I also would not be abject.

Going to your fan/light will be wires. You could remove the fan, and replace it with an outlet box very very easily. It is not a bad idea at all. However, keep in mind that that the switch on the wall controls the on/off. If you understand electrical work, and what is involved this should be fairly simple. It would take longer to undo the fan than to wire up the outlet box. The fan SHOULD be attached to a piece of lumber that you could easily attach the outlet panel to. You could reuse the fan in the future as well.

I do not use overhead lights at all in the room my tank is in. We have a few reading lamps, but during the daylight hours, the lights are on, and there is no need for overhead.