ISO pair of black snowflake clowns

banjowalker

I'm searching for a pair of black snowflakes for my first fish. I would like to find them at a reasonable cost. Any info let me know thanks

DaveK

Black snowflake clowns are a popular fish. I think to obtain them your going to have to go onto one of the online sites. This is an expensive fish, and very desirable. People that have them don't want to part with them. Most LFS, if they can get them, sell them right away. Online prices for the fish are about $100 up each. Unless you get very very lucky, I doubt if you will find any at a "reasonable cost".

That being said, I can't honestly recommend black snowflake clowns as a first fish. Your going to have about $250 or more invested in two fish, and when your starting out in the hobby, you will make some mistakes. Hopefully none of them will be serious, but it they are, and you loose everything, it's a lot better to do this with fish that are comparatively inexpensive, and available.

If you are going to go with this fish, I highly recommend setting up a quarantine tank for them. When you get them quarantine them for at least several weeks, and quarantine everything else you are going to put into your main tank. You don't want one sick fish wiping out your tank.

Once you have the tank established for 6 months or so, and it's stable, then it would be a good time to add this fish.

banjowalker

Black snowflake clowns are a popular fish. I think to obtain them your going to have to go onto one of the online sites. This is an expensive fish, and very desirable. People that have them don't want to part with them. Most LFS, if they can get them, sell them right away. Online prices for the fish are about $100 up each. Unless you get very very lucky, I doubt if you will find any at a "reasonable cost".

That being said, I can't honestly recommend black snowflake clowns as a first fish. Your going to have about $250 or more invested in two fish, and when your starting out in the hobby, you will make some mistakes. Hopefully none of them will be serious, but it they are, and you loose everything, it's a lot better to do this with fish that are comparatively inexpensive, and available.

If you are going to go with this fish, I highly recommend setting up a quarantine tank for them. When you get them quarantine them for at least several weeks, and quarantine everything else you are going to put into your main tank. You don't want one sick fish wiping out your tank.

Once you have the tank established for 6 months or so, and it's stable, then it would be a good time to add this fish.
I am going to put every fish through tank transfer and qt everything and treat with prazipro. I am not going to add any fish until my parameters allow me to do so. I found some for a pretty good price so I will probably go with them eventually

Oxylebius

To add my two cents here: qt'ing alone won't kill any ich that might be on the fish living in the gills where you can't see them. If you are just qt'ing them w/o medicating, you still risk introducing ich to the DT. You mentioned treating w/prazipro - that will work to make sure that the fish you put in DT will be ich free. But if you aren't also qt'ing all mobile inverts, corals, or everything else you are adding to the DT, you do risk introducing ich at some point.

To make sure you have an ich free system takes a lot of work and a lot of time. DT should go fallow for three months. All fish get medicated in qt before added to tank and everything else gets fishless qt for three month to make sure that no ich survives before going into the DT. Ideally, this would be the only way to really guarantee an ichless system. Not many of us do this. Mike Johnson might, gleaming from his posts over the last couple of years he qt's everything, even live rock, to make sure he keeps an ich free DT (and unwanted hitchhikers also).

banjowalker

To add my two cents here: qt'ing alone won't kill any ich that might be on the fish living in the gills where you can't see them. If you are just qt'ing them w/o medicating, you still risk introducing ich to the DT. You mentioned treating w/prazipro - that will work to make sure that the fish you put in DT will be ich free. But if you aren't also qt'ing all mobile inverts, corals, or everything else you are adding to the DT, you do risk introducing ich at some point.

To make sure you have an ich free system takes a lot of work and a lot of time. DT should go fallow for three months. All fish get medicated in qt before added to tank and everything else gets fishless qt for three month to make sure that no ich survives before going into the DT. Ideally, this would be the only way to really guarantee an ichless system. Not many of us do this. Mike Johnson might, gleaming from his posts over the last couple of years he qt's everything, even live rock, to make sure he keeps an ich free DT (and unwanted hitchhikers also).
I am prepared to take all necessary precautions to have an Ich free tank. I have coral dips and I am not introducing live rock unless it's from a very trusted source. The tank transfer method when done correctly, ive read is about 99% effective at eradicating Ich. I am also going to qt after I do this method and treat with prazipro. I feel like this will be a good way to start.