Is this crab going to eat my anemone?

robhart60

Hi,

I've had this crab in my tank since I started this hobby and it came with the LR. It got big so I tried to get it out, (unsucsesfully) and over a month ago I noticed its pincers on the sand bed, and at first I thought it shelled itself but later thought it died cause I have'nt seen it for so long.

Anyways, I just added a BTA to my tank and this morning I noticed the crab bigger than ever tucked in a rock next to it!:eek:

I was just wondering if it really is a danger to my anemone or anything else in my tank?:help:

I've taken a pic of the pincers I collected from the tank in hope that someone can maybe ID it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Unknown crab2.jpg
    Unknown crab2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 148

Techno-Vicki

I had a 'cute little hitch hiker' for about a year and half he was real mello. Then he became the acro eating crab from h$*ll. I still leave his marks around. No crabs in my tank, no way. Jack had to stab him with a long knife to get him.

robhart60

Right... it took a few hors but I finally got the b*$^£?~d!
I had to take out half my rock to get to it but it was worth it. I'm pretty sure this thing killed my last Anemone, Starfish and Cleaner Shrimp!

I still haven't got a definate ID on it (after googling it) but it's better to be safe than sorry cause of its increasing size. (Bigger than my Clownfish!)

Thanks for all your help!

Below is a pic that I took after getting it out...

Attachments

• bad crab.jpg
    bad crab.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 128

robhart60

Yeah its a huge relief to get him out of my system beat_dead_horse
I had lots of Gorilla crabs which I removed a while ago, but none were like this beast! The traps that worked for the other crabs didn't fool this one, he always managed to get the bait and escape.
Now that its gone I think i'll treat myself to a new Starfish :bluenod:

reef dummy

Damn, now you guys have me worried. I've had my tank up for 6 mnths now and the other day my wife moved a rock and saw something scurry into a large hole in a rock we had never seen before. Well we put a little piece of shrimp near the opening and sure enought out comes a crab about 1.5 inches across. We never knew he was in there till now. Since we moved the rock that was covering his hole he now moves empty hermiit crab shells in the way to protect his lair. I have no idea what he is eating, we have not had any problems with fish or coral. I will try to post a pic if I can get one.