Is This Brown Jelly Disease

dlcorliss

I added this torch coral about 6 months ago and it has done great up until about a week ago. I started noticing part of it dying and this brown/red slime stuff mostly growing on the base but it looks like it has spread up into the head of the coral. I know the picture is kind of fuzzy but if you look at the base of the coral you can see the slime that I am talking about. Can anyone tell me if this is Brown Jelly Disease?

Attachments

• _MG_7993%20BROWN%20GROWTH[1] 72.2.jpg
    _MG_7993%20BROWN%20GROWTH[1] 72.2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 91

DaveK

I can not tell from the photo. However, when a coral like this starts to go bad, the best thing to do is to frag it saving the good parts, and hope they grow.

BigJay

can't tell from the photo but based on your description it sounds like some sort of algae,cyano or dyno. If it was brown jelly you would see it from the soft part of the LPS not the base. I wouldn't do anything with the coral until we can get a better picture or someone can look at it in person and diagnose it.

yvr

It is difficult to tell from the photo. Big Jay is right, if it was tissue necrosis, you would seed it effecting the coral head rather then the base. If you do start to notice tissue necrosis you can use airline tubing to siphon off the dead/necrotic tissue. Then try a giving the coral a bath with an Iodine solution like TM Pro Coral Cure or similar product. The iodine will act as an antiseptic and hopefully kill prevent the spread of the tissue necrosis.