Is this a good RO/DI system?

nightfire76

actually i had asked that months ago and the guys here say no their ro/di systems arent any good,filters dont work well and the fittings arent great

Reefin

Any other suggestions what did you end up going with my friend had a fitting break but thats not the end of the world and to save a hundred dollars I have currently been using there water from my friend I test it and it has o phosphate and nitrates

nightfire76

actually i didnt get anything,im still using tap water with conditioner,im buying a light system before the price goes back up and then ill get me an ro/di system,im sure big al will be around and he can give ya a link to really good,not so expensive ro/di systems,i dont have those links anymore,sorry

chipmunkofdoom2

I have a Pure Water Club RO/DI and it hasn't killed my dog or caused my house to burn down.

A lot of people frown upon the cheap units, but for me it was cheap unit or tap water. I don't use a lot of water with my 29 gallon tank so it was hard to justify dropping serious coin on an RO/DI system, especially when it's coin I don't have. If I had the money I definitely would, because if I had the money I'd probably have a much larger tank, however I didn't. I don't get 0 TDS out of it, and it usually hovers around 1 or 2 ppm, but that's a level of uncertainty and risk I'm satisfied with.

For $80 shipped, it works.

Reefin

I'm in the same boat as you chipmunkofdoom2 I don't have a lot of money but want to stop those trips to the LFS lol

chipmunkofdoom2

I'm in the same boat as you chipmunkofdoom2 I don't have a lot of money but want to stop those trips to the LFS lol

Then I would recommend it. Just be realistic about what type of system it is. It is cheap. The basics of an RO/DI unit (the tubing, housing, plastics) all cost about the same, so the way these units are so cheap are probably because they skimp on the filters. You will probably not get much life out the membrane and other filters, but to the best of my knowledge, most RO/DI units have standard sized membranes and filter cartridges, so if you do get a cheap unit, you can get a quality membrane later.

EDIT: Also, don't worry about all the extra junk. All you really need is the unit and wasting the money on a tank and whatever else they're offering kind of negates the point of buying a cheap unit. Check out their site for just RO/DI units.

Reefin

What are some other good RO/DI units i don't really need the pressurized tank i just need RO/DI and if this is the best I can do with out spending a $100 more then so be and if it's possible to buy better quality filters later even better

this subject is very interesting, there is a lot of controversy but from what i understand and what i have seen by installing 3 systems and having a fellow reefer friend that works in this RO and filtering field i have come to the following conclusions:
IMO and IME needing 0 PPM for me is not necessary, Living in TJ Mexico the water from the street comes at 750 to 1000 PPM so one of my best system gets it down to 45 (without resin) and another system i have gets the water to 100 PPM, all of wich (even 150 ppm) are still consideret potable/drinking water without any risks, infact i have even tested drinking bottled water and has the same 40 to 130 ppm ratio with some exceptions.
i have had my tanks running for a couple of years with 100+ ppm drinking, purified, distilled and RO water ass top off and as salt mix with no issues what so ever, i have also used (currently) salt water for WC, and the system i got for my house recently does 35 ppm, wich im very happy but would be an issue for me at higher ppm. also, my friend and i have built systems with a mix of filter housings and different fittings, all that matter in the end is whats inside of the plastic cases, the membranes, the filters etc. having said that the last system i got was bought not built and i got it for a good price, i needed a kit with a booster pump and i wanted UV so you have 2 options, there is a sponsor wich has good systems and the link is Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Products and answers for your water treatment needs., or i have found this seller on ebay eBay My World - h2osplash that has prebuilt systems with decent and quality parts, i was a little unsure as to purchase this systems on ebay but i didnt regret it i can tell you. i have purchased from both and they are both very good working systems.
i would suggest you get one that has a pressurized tank for storage, they are 3.5 gallons usually, so if anything happens you have a little water stored for an emergency.

Reefin

So I think I'm going to go with RO/DI system in the first link I posted my friend seems to be getting 0 ppm out of his same unit I mean all of the other names brands are twice as expensive so if any one has any other opinions please let me know

Reefin

I've already ordered the one in the first link was only a $160 once I added on the water feed adapter and it comes with a set of replacement filters can't beat that I also picked up a dual in-line tds meter for the unit I don't have a lot of money just trying to get the best with wht i have lol