Is my light ok for a 30 gallon reef?

dcom

I've added a frogspawn to my 1+year old tank since about 3 weeks ago.
Water conditions are ok and I've been told that frogspawns are not picky about light but regardless its location in the tank, I dont see its tentacles opening as I've seen in videos/stores

I though it was the current and already upgraded to a koralia 1200-1500 with no change in the way it behaves so I am thinking if it might be the light.

I am currently using 2x beamswork EA FSPEC LED (Lumen: 120, LEDs: 27x 0.50, Config: 16x 10000K, 6x Actinic 460nm, 3xRed 620nm, 2x Green 520n)

In the future I would like to have both soft and stony corals
Is my light sufficient or totally inappropriate?

Feedback appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

DaveK

I'm not sure which fixture your talking about. The specs you gave describe a 24" fixture, but a typical 30 gal tank is 36 inches long. If your had a 36" fixture you'd be getting more LED and more light. 27 verses 42 LEDs. These are low power LEDs, and that why you have so many of them.

Even so, either light would be very low for a reef. This is also a light more suited toward FW planted tanks. In fact it's extremely popular among the planted tank people. I'd recommend you replace your lighting if your going to keep corals.

If I were doing something like this I'd be looking at getting two AI prime fixtures if I wanted pendants, or two Current USA Orbit Marine Pro fixtures if I wanted strip lighting. Either of these would be giving you about 4x the light over what you have. However there are a lot of other good fixtures out there.

DaveK

The light looks good, but I think you may find that a 16" light is going to leave you with some dark ends. You may need two of them to get an even light across the tank. Let us know how they work out.