HELP! Is my coral dying?

sanjay7

I got the coral yday . I'm pretty sure that it was like this when I got .
I'm sure that LFS got it from somewhere . What's actually happening ? .
Can anyone help me ?
d350f28ff58b21f0d43286fc75efb49a.jpg
60ea1f5cd55b0c73fecffb06a220eadf.jpg
c64f3daef2ec7cc31b9cbb7c6e0ae080.jpg
f9c3628720f0cd378a3bc0773fa4dbf6.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 820s dual sim using Tapatalk

DaveK

It's sometime hard to tell with a new coral, because the polyps may just be retracted. However it looks like a badly damaged coral that has lost most of it's tissue. The large green areas seem to be areas where algae is starting to take over. The small bright green dots are what is left of the polyps. Things don't look good, but sometimes corals make unexpected recoveries.

Did the coral look like this when you got it or was this something that occurred once you got it home? Corals are prone to damage if not shipped properly and in some cases large areas of them can die overnight.

sanjay7

It's sometime hard to tell with a new coral, because the polyps may just be retracted. However it looks like a badly damaged coral that has lost most of it's tissue. The large green areas seem to be areas where algae is starting to take over. The small bright green dots are what is left of the polyps. Things don't look good, but sometimes corals make unexpected recoveries.

Did the coral look like this when you got it or was this something that occurred once you got it home? Corals are prone to damage if not shipped properly and in some cases large areas of them can die overnight.
It was like this only. I doubt if it is from wild . What do you think

Sent from my HTC Desire 820s dual sim using Tapatalk

DaveK

More than likely a coral that size was wild collected. Most of the aquacultured corals are comparatively small frags. To get a coral to grow to that size from a frag would take years, but it is possible.

Branching corals like acropora will seem to grow faster that corals that are more or less a lump.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
It looks like it is on it's way out. Of course, it's been a personal sub-hobby of mine to purchase dying corals from the fish store at a discount, recover them, and trade them back in 9 months later at far more than what I paid for.

The worst think you can do is to blast it with too much light. I typically dim down to about 30% and work my way back up over the course of 8 weeks.

-Jeff