HELP! Is my anenome dying?

Jessicaleah13

I have a long tentical (corkscrew) anenome that has been in my tank for 6 months. I feed him regularly and he's grown alot. He was looking well all day and after I did a 40% water change he started to react strangely. I have other corals in my tank that haven't reacted to the water change at all and are heathly and doing well. My anonome has gone down in size with his mouth slightly open and at night releasing a milky substance into the water. If I touch his tenticals they are still very sticky but he doesn't retract when touched but he does react.

Attachments

• 20200721_005641.gif
    20200721_005641.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20200721_002336_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721_002336_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20200721_002422_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721_002422_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

DaveK

An anemone is not going to like a 40% water change, even if the water parameters are closely matched, and it will often reteact for awhile afterwards.

The "...at night releasing a milky substance into the water..." could be decayed material and indicate that its dying, but it could also be that the anemone is expelling waste or spawning. The anemone being sticky is usually considered good, but it not retracting might be an issue. Anemones are kind of funny that way. Sometimes something makes them unhappy and they retrace a bit for awhile, and then all of a sudden they look fine.

In looking at your picts, I don't seen anything obviously wrong, but its not possible to see the base of the anemone. If you can look for any tears near the base or foot.

How much and how often are you feeding? Anemones usually only need to be fed once a week or so. Don't feed it if it's not extended looking for food.

For now the best thing to do is leave it alone, don't feed unless it's extended, and keep a close eye on it.

Jessicaleah13

I feed the anenome once a week with frozen shrimp.

He's looking good today not showing any of the concerning symptoms from yesterday.