Is my anemone dying?

Tom18202

I appologize if this has already been discussed endlessly on this forum. However i just came across another post on this forum and it seems like people are more informative with anemones. I have already asked on a few other forums with no help and its hard to get information online outside of mouth protruding and just descriptive information.

I have uploaded a few pictures of my anemone. Can someone please help if i should remove(before he nukes the take)

It is a condylactic anemone. Water parameters Ammonia and Nitrites 0ppm, Nitrates 10ppm, specific gravity 1.023, pH 8.2, 55G tank with 2 800gph pumps, live stock 2 OC clowns, 1 bi-colored blenny, 1 marble formage star, 1 brittle sea star, 1 cleaner shrimp, and a bunch of snails and hermits.

I do not have a full tank but obviously i dont want to lose everything and have to start over if the anemone dyes.

This has been going on for about 4 days now.

He is full adhered to a rock and fully inflated with color. when i feed with turkey baster he grips teh food but doesnt necessary eat it anymore. if he does have a bunch gripped the shrimp hops on eating it from the anemone. IMO he looks healthy in everyway but the mouth(which from my understanding is the most definitive sign of stress). the problem is i do not see anythign protruding from his mouth i only see it is open and very wide.

Thanks for all helpIMG_3077.JPG IMG_3075.JPG IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3079.JPG

ianthepoolguy

Simple question; is it shrinking? I don't mean _today_, I mean is it smaller than it was say, a month ago?
If yes, then it's probably dying
If no, then it could well be just getting ready to "excrete" or maybe even split.
These guys are usually quite sticky... what happens if you use a turkey baster to feed some smaller stuff? Does it stick to the tentacles?
It's still coloured up well; imo, probably too early to panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom18202

It has not gotten smaller if anything seems like it is bigger and it is definitly still sticky when feed with turkey baster.

ApolloRoma

Tending towards a possible split..... Healthy parameters and great looking colour and size.
Tank will support multiple Anemone and abundance of regular food may be reason to promote reproduction.
Twisting a figure eight and splitting off a section may be reason to gape mouth and clone vital organs... Planimal.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

DaveK

Your anemone should not be fed with a turkey baster. It is not a anemone that eats a lot of small particulate matter. It should be fed small pieces of shrimp, crab, clams, and so on. You only need to feed it about once a week, and only one or two small pieces of food.

Your anemone also looks bleached. More that likely, you got it that way. The pink and white look a lot nicer that browns you see on a healthy one. Take a look at the pictures in the Wikipedia article on them and note how none of the ones pictured are white. (offsite) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condylactis_gigantea

It is possible for an anemone to recover from bleaching, so don't be it too big a hurry to get rid of it.

Another question is what kind of lighting do you have on your tank. Anemones like this should have massive amounts of light. However, at this point, do not make any changes too quickly, since it looks bleached and in a weakened state.

For now keep a close eye on it.

ApolloRoma

How often do you feed?
Do you offer any other sizeable optional food ie. Prawn, mussel, scallop, etc.

ApolloRoma

Injury may cause quick death, in my humble opinion they are a tough creature when tankbred.
(my six month experience is with a relocated tank of Bubble Tip Anemone)

ApolloRoma

e51822e05ecb88d59f7d55db482c7965.jpg

ianthepoolguy

Your anemone should not be fed with a turkey baster. It is not a anemone that eats a lot of small particulate matter. It should be fed small pieces of shrimp, crab, clams, and so on....

Totally agree; the idea was just to offer small food to ascertain if it was "sticky" and feeding, as opposed to give it a daily dose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk