Is my anemone dying? Should I remove him?

It looks like my sea anemone is dying. I will try to post a picture. I'm not sure what kind it is. It is small with the long tentacles. Right now it is tiny with all kind of stuff coming out it. I didn't know if this was causing a lot of nitrates?

Gina

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What are your current water test results? If it's been more than a couple of days run a full set of tests now just to be sure.

They do expand and contract a lot and they do "expel" left over good after a good meal. This could simply be "bathroom time".

However, when stressed (for whatever reason) they can also expel their organs and this is NOT a good sign.

How old is the tank?

What type of lights?

How long have you had it?

The more information you give us the better equipped we will be to help. A picture can be VERY valuable here :)

chrome91

yep, pic would help. like others said, it could be simply from digestion from a meal, however, if its dying, thats a bad sign. some anemones expel a toxin when dying that kills everything in the tank

csmsss

yep, pic would help. like others said, it could be simply from digestion from a meal, however, if its dying, thats a bad sign. some anemones expel a toxin when dying that kills everything in the tank
+1

And it ALWAYS happens when you're out of town for a few days - so you get to come home to a mucus-laden, stinky disaster of a tank - and invariably when your plane is late and you don't get home till 3 am. Ask me how I know!

taemujin

now when you say smell... does that mean the tank water smells terrible? I moved my anemone earlier and my hand smelled like rotten fish when i took it out, but the anemone still seems to respond to touch and looks fine...

no1bubba

Where can I find a list the the anemones that are toxic upon death. I have quite a few now and I really like them, but if there is a chance that one could do-in the entire tank, it's out of here. Thanks, Bubba