Is maybe purple tip Condy anemone dying?

EricZ0212

It’s been like this for 2 days now, before that, it was fine. I don’t know if I should take it out or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 20

Uncle99

Is that a Condy stuck to a intake?
If so, likely damaged beyond repair.
Your tank looks new, uncycled, and not mature enough to house a nem.

EricZ0212

Thanks for your response. It’s sorta new, like3-4 monthish. The dealer said it would be fine to own an anemone so we went and bought one.

DaveK

You need a well established tank with excellent water conditions. This typically takes close to a year to obtain.

Also, most condy anemones being sold are in poor condition. If you see one white or pink, it's almost always bleached in in poor condition. They should look brown or brownish pink.

Uncle99

Agreed with DaveK, IMO, that's poor advice from your LFS, good for sales, bad for nem.
Ask the members here, will save you time and money. I've killed enough stuff in my early days.
I noticed ever since I listened to members of reef sanctuary rather than store, everything is working so well now and I now have that tank I struggled with for years prior.

My advice (which is the same advice I was given) works for fish, inverts and corals. Take the time to become a water expert. Get the test kits, work them weekly, record findings, you will see a pattern.
When tanks are fully cycled, when using RODI, when maintaining all 8 parameters within NSW ranges, consistently for say 6 months minimum, things put in the system do well.

To that just add good lighting which includes right spectrum and good intensity, esoecially for Nems who love their light.

Last edited:

EricZ0212

Unfortunately the anemone has disappeared today, nowhere to be found. We believe it has died and possibly a starfish or snail ate it, or it has dissolved.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Start a tank thread and share your tank with us ! Unfortunately LFS (local fish stores) often give less thanks the best advise. Tip - when they tell you anything, before you buy, ask here... almost all of us have learned this lesson.

Pomacanthidae

I got lucky with my LFS. They always tell the truth and treat sick or dead fish/coral immediately. The other day they had two healthy condys that I was looking at, but I was worried it would kill my coral.

DaveK

Many condy anemones you see in stores are in fairly poor shape. If you see on the is white or pink, it usually means that it's bleaches and has lost it's symbiotic algae. If they are brown or brown-pink, they are usually ok. As you can see from the OP anemones are real good at getting sucked into filter intakes as they follow the water flow. This usually does massive damage to them.

Condy anemones are generally not a anemone that clowns like to host in, but sometimes they do. If your looking for clowns to host in an anemone, get a BTA or LTA.