Is it possible to rotate a tank without teardown?

EllisJuan

I have a 65g tank and would like to rotate it 45*-90* in its current location. Is it possible to do it without emptying it? If not, it will stay just like it is...lol. If anyone has any advice, I would love some suggestions.

catran

A full 75g weighs 775lbs. If you have it on a wood floor, it may be possible if you can get under it at all. IMO, if you have a wood floor, you could have 2 - 3 friends lift one side high enough to get those appliance movers (sliders) under each corner and then it would be easier to slide.

catran

Oh, that would work too. I moved a 300lb entertainment center by myself using those sliders. The only problem you would have is getting them under the cabinet. Of course, you'll have to take a little water out of the tank.....

QuentinB

Just make sure you're not letting it "skip" around while it's that full of water, tanks aren't really made to handle the force of water moving violently into the side. Otherwise, those floor movers on tile should work great! Shoot, I've repositioned my 75g FW on it's stand while it was only 30-35 gallons down, by myself! Only about an inch, but it wasn't terribly bad...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Quentin hit on a VERY important point. The tank isn't designed for pressure to be shifting at all. The water in the tank is putting constant force against the glass without movement so any movement increases that and if you happen to lift in the wrong place, the wrong amount or shift/torque the tank you risk a total glass failure and a wet mess. Just be VERY careful and and slow if you do it.

GlassMunky

I would take out as much water as possable before you do it. and make sure all your rocks are very secure. you dont want the rocks to slip and break the glass or fall on anything. BE CAREFULL, but you can do it. i've shifted smaller tanks(29G and 55G)

DanSReef

+1 to Allen and GlassMunky.....be real carefull. I have heard of folks ending up with leaks and even blowouts after moving a tank like that. I would recommend removing as much water as you can and then taking it real slow. Also....with most tile floors....those darn grout lines cause issues...even with sliders. The potential jolt to a tank as a result of hitting one of those would be a concern to me.

Good Luck!

EllisJuan

Thanks for all the advice! I only want to rotate it 45*. It is in a corner now, and this would make it more visible. I think I am going to go for it next time I do a large water change.

EllisJuan

I managed to get it done today. I pulled out the sump, ballasts, removed the lights, and removed 30 gallons of water. Positioned all the rocks and coral to keep it below the water line. My to roommates and I were able to rotate and slightly slide it this way.

Thanks for all the advice.

EllisJuan

As requested...lol

97236ab4.jpg

reefracer

Glad you were able to get it moved without incident. It gives me hope because someday I want to move my tank out of the room, put down tile and then move it back in. I know, that's a tuff one.