is it mean to kill aptasia?

caligal

in my biocube 29 i have 2 or 3 absolutely beautiful pieces of live rock but they are covered with 1/2 dozen or so of big good sized aptasia

is it mean to kill them? idk what else to do to get them off. the tank is a 1 anemone 2 clownfish only tank, but i still wished that my live rock wasnt cover with these giant aptasia!!!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
if you don't mind the looks of them and not planning on having coral, let it do it's thing. It certainly shouldn't bother the main anemone.

kyle4201

^+1,, I have seen ligt 7 inch tall beautifull ones in peoples tanks on purpose. Like he said if your not going to put any corals in it you can leave them,, or call me over, I LOVE KILLING AIPSTASIA !!!lol

reefer gladness

If it's mean I'm not losing any sleep over it ;)

Seriously though, I've had good success with peppermint shrimp. If you live in PDR then The Aquarium is close by (Sepulveda and Sawtelle). Not nearly as good as Vivid Aquariums for buying corals and stuff but I've purchased a few inverts from them.

jpsika08

Problem with Aiptasia is that they can overrun your tank very quickly.
Your rocks will be fully covered with them, which is not a pretty sight.

caligal

haha i love everyones replies, and @reefer gladness, Ya i am in PDR! the aquarium is such a great place, i'v gotta make my way out to vivid aquariums tho...looks like an awesome place.

on another note, do anemones (like aptasia) have a central nervous system? i know corals dont, but an anemones an invert...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you can't do it yourself, then it's not mean to add a peppermint shrimp & let him eat them. :D
I did that and would do it again if I see anymore aptasia in my tank :fingerx: fingers crossed that I don't!

reefer gladness

on another note, do anemones (like aptasia) have a central nervous system? i know corals dont, but an anemones an invert...

What a great question, according to wikipedia they do not have a centralized nervous system.

Quote: Nerve system -A primitive nervous system, without centralization, coordinates the processes involved in maintaining homeostasis as well as biochemical and physical responses to various stimuli. There are no specialized sense organs.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_anemone

The trip to Vivid Aquariums is definitely worth it, I try to avoid the valley at all costs but this place is worth the drive. I like the guys over at The Aquarium too, I stop by every time I get a Tommy's burger next door. But if you're looking for corals Vivid takes it to another level that always leaves me a little disappointed when I look at The Aquarium's frag tank.

jpsika08

If you can't do it yourself, then it's not mean to add a peppermint shrimp & let him eat them. :D
I did that and would do it again if I see anymore aptasia in my tank :fingerx: fingers crossed that I don't!

Problem with Peppermint shrimp is that many times they just ignore Aiptasia, it's a long shot, though, one worth trying.

reefer gladness

Problem with Peppermint shrimp is that many times they just ignore Aiptasia, it's a long shot, though, one worth trying.

Many times folks think they are buying a peppermint shrimp and they're getting one of it's close relatives. Helps to not overfeed as well, hungry shrimp go hunting :)

PS Caligal - I bought 2 peppermints from the Aquarium 2 weeks ago and they took care of a couple aipts that I found recently in the first day or two so I know they have real peppermints down there now. I'd fish one of my peppermints out and give it to ya if they weren't so bloody hard to catch.

Mike Johnson

I haven't replied to this thread because I thought it was a joke.

My personal belief is that Aiptasia should not be in the same classification as anemones like bubble tips and so on.

BTA's are so stupid they will hide under a rock, killing themselves in the process, not smart enough to move into the light. Just one example of how stupid anemones are.

On the other hand an Aiptasia can sense a predator and will hide in a hole until it turns clear white from lack of light. An Aiptasia can reproduce in several different ways, can get it's sustenance in several different ways, etc.

It is my personal belief that Aiptasia have some intelligence. I am studying it thoroughly because I believe you should know your enemy.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Yep, from what I have read...there are SEVERAL different kinds of the peppermint shrimp. They look so close in appearance that it's hard to tell that there is a difference. :(
I got lucky when I bought the one I had and it ate aptastia. Not sure I'd be so lucky if I needed another one.

Mike Johnson

Well, in a little while you can all order them from me. I have trained Aiptasia eating Peppermint Shrimps that I'm breeding now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, too. I'll be posting a thread soon I hope, like I promised a few weeks ago, I am actually doing it.

The wife did notice all the extra fish stuff in her dog order from Drs. F&S. :nono:

caligal

haha thanks everyone for the input...i have killed one so far :yup:, im hoping to irradicate some more a little later this evening and tomorow tho and have a nice aptasia free tank again!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well, in a little while you can all order them from me. I have trained Aiptasia eating Peppermint Shrimps that I'm breeding now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, too. I'll be posting a thread soon I hope, like I promised a few weeks ago, I am actually doing it.

The wife did notice all the extra fish stuff in her dog order from Drs. F&S. :nono:

Mike, how's this going? Been wondering if you've had any luck here?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
haha thanks everyone for the input...i have killed one so far :yup:, im hoping to irradicate some more a little later this evening and tomorow tho and have a nice aptasia free tank again!

Caligal, glad you got your "kill skill" going... YAY FOR YOU!! :yehoo:

caligal

haha thank you, so i have finally found the time to irradicate all aptaisa, i filled em all up with aptasia x and im just playing the waiting game now, anything i should be doing in particular during this waiting time? i did turn the power head off so the mixture wouldnt fly around, im just woried about excess aptasia x formula being swirled around with my water

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
haha thank you, so i have finally found the time to irradicate all aptaisa, i filled em all up with aptasia x and im just playing the waiting game now, anything i should be doing in particular during this waiting time? i did turn the power head off so the mixture wouldnt fly around, im just woried about excess aptasia x formula being swirled around with my water
If you're worried about it affecting your water, a regular WC could help lessen the risk.
"The solution to pollution is dilution" :thumbup:
Hope you got ALL the aptasia!!

Choff

Good luck getting them all. It only takes a single cell for them to regrow. Resilient little buggers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2