Is getting one clown “bad”?

Cvlnurse

Snails die because of
1. Bad care/shipping water parameters before they reached your tank.
2. Predatory hermit crabs. (All former dwarf cerith snails are now blue leg hermit crab homes.)
3. Tank crash.

Our money cowrie is now 5 years old and survived a tank crash that killed serpent starfish and fish.
Turbos 1.5 years.
Nassarius 4+ years
Scarlet hermit crabs, blue legs and dwarf zebra hermit crabs are all 4 to 5 years old.

Not restocking for at least a few more years just so I can be sure what is alive is from the original groups.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Awesome good to know! Thank you for the information! This site is awesome. People are so helpful and friendly.

norfolkgarden

Sorry, I should have added that the different types of hermit crabs will always need empty slightly larger shells than what they have now available as they molt and get larger.

Based on 4 years of observation.

Blue leg hermit crabs like dwarf cerith snail shells. (Willl kill the live snails for the shells if no empty ones available)

Someone once told me that blue legs eat red legs so I never bothered buying regular red legs.

Dwarf zebra hermit crabs like margarita snail shells.

Scarlet hermit crabs like nassarius snail shells. And some other similar shape...

The "Halloween" electric orange and black and the electric blue and black hermit crabs like a flattened elongated shell similar to a cone snail shell or conch.

Absolutely nothing seems to like turban, trochus, astraea or similar shaped shells.

Never had a hermit crab big enough to use a small turbo snail shell.
We stick with the hermit crabs I listed.
Someone once told me any large hermit crab noticeably "furry" wasn't likely to be reef safe.

:)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pat24601

I have not lost a snail in 16 months now. This appears to be the result of ensuring no crabs or hitchhikers.

It sounds like my original post on the snail topic was pretty wrong.

I’ve always had crabs and I figured they were eating my snails, but I didn’t realize they were probably the main thing reducing my snail population.

Last edited: