Infestation All Of A Sudden!

ChitownRomeo

First it was just 1, then 10, then 20 and now a full blow infestation. What are these things! They are not bothering corals but omg at night they are all over!! It will take forever to pull each one out. Or just leave them? It's literally hundreds....

2ywwsn8.jpg

6yk6d3.jpg

v3zrx4.jpg

cracker

Hey Chitown, It's been a while. Do these critters have a hard shell? Some type of Gastropod, like a tiny abalone . I'm sure the experts here will ID them. I think they are algae eaters ?

SaltNoob

First it was just 1, then 10, then 20 and now a full blow infestation. What are these things! They are not bothering corals but omg at night they are all over!! It will take forever to pull each one out. Or just leave them? It's literally hundreds....

2ywwsn8.jpg

6yk6d3.jpg

v3zrx4.jpg
I have something similar. Was told they were limpids or limpets? Something like that. Give it a Google...
Good luck!

ChitownRomeo

Yep seems to be a limet. Harmless but the Keyhole limpet eats corals. The hundreds I have seem to just want algae. Free clean up crew I guess. Ill keep a look out. Thanks SaltNoob

Attachments

• Mollusc-Keyhole Limpet23-02-09.jpg
    Mollusc-Keyhole Limpet23-02-09.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8

3dees

I have them, although not an infestation. I leave them alone. they seem to feed off the algae on the glass. never seen them doing any harm to my coral.

Oxylebius

Yea I been away for a while dealing with cancer taking it day by day.

I hope for the best for you

Those are keyhole limpets (family Fissurellidae) - the hole at the apex/top ID's it.
http://shells.tricity.wsu.edu/ArcherdShellCollection/Gastropoda/Fissurellidae.html

Keyhole limpets aren't true limpets, they aren't that closely related. For the most part they are harmless/ beneficial herbivorous grazers but if the food supply runs low, they can occasionally move on to soft corals or large polyped stony corals. So similar to some crabs. They have preferences for algae, if algae runs low they will look for other food sources to survive.

Do you have lots of algae to support a growing population?

Last edited:

IanReefer

I think they eat those up in Seatle, you should take some off and boil them up with some clams for a nice little snack. That should help with population control.