In wall tank build advice/lessons learned

Kirblit

I'm in the planning stages of doing a 300 gallon in wall tank and roughly 12x15 ft fish room in my basement. I'm looking for anyone that has an in wall tank or has had one in the past to give me their ideas and experiences no matter what size tank. Any pictures that you have available of your setup would be greatly appreciated.

I have a pretty solid plan so far but I'm sure people have some things they would do over if they did it again.

I will have front access to everything no question and will have two ventilation fans in the room. One fan will run constantly and discharge back into the basement to keep heat and humidity in the house when I want it. I will also have one connected to a humidistat and it will vent outside in the summer months.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DaveK

I would say that one of the smartest things you can do when you plan a systems is to plans for future changes.

Over time, you'll likely replace all of the support equipment, filtration system, skimmer, lighting, reactors, refugiums, and so on. Always figure that you will need to replace something and not be able to obtain the original device, and you will need to go with something larger or smaller. You might need to install lighting that needs to be further away from the tank, or a different return pump.

If you have allowed for this, the change out isn't too bad. If not, it's going to be a major job.

Kirblit

I would say that one of the smartest things you can do when you plan a systems is to plans for future changes.

Over time, you'll likely replace all of the support equipment, filtration system, skimmer, lighting, reactors, refugiums, and so on. Always figure that you will need to replace something and not be able to obtain the original device, and you will need to go with something larger or smaller. You might need to install lighting that needs to be further away from the tank, or a different return pump.

If you have allowed for this, the change out isn't too bad. If not, it's going to be a major job.
I agree. I'm going to try to have everything accessible in the sump and equipment and not design for certain size equipment so that it's more flexible in the future. It will be nice not having to work on equipment under a stand for a change.