In doubt regarding acclimation process

FishTaleZ

Advice needed - I am in the process of purchasing corals via online. So far I have had no issues but would like to ask some advice. I have purchased an Acclimate from Dr Foster and Smith and have been very successful in buying SW fish as I can ask for additional SW to acclimate properly.

When buying online I have received coral with limited SW. So far the coral from reputable dealers have been high class as these corals purchased are not found at LFS. So I have added some RO/DI to the Accimate tank to compensate rather than mixed SW.

Can anyone provide some better advice? I have seen coral (mostly LPS) slime not feeling comfortable, while softies and palys are more forgiving.

Thanks,

Mike Johnson

What? You're using RO/DI instead of saltwater? Do you have a shortage of saltwater. I think the Acclimate Pro from Drs. Foster&Smith is a good acclimation tool and a very good trap. But, I dip and quarantine corals - don't usually acclimate them.

I don't think a fresh water bath is necessary or useful.

FishTaleZ

Good point Mike; No I don't have a shortage of salt water. My inexperience told me that salt water may have stressed them out more than fresh. I added the coral to the acclimate tank with the water that they came in. Then I would top it off with the fresh water to meet up to the tubing. I'm glad I asked the question as now I know better thanks to you! My corals are doing well, so I may have dodge the bullet then. Thanks:fingerx:

GlassMunky

I usually drip acclimate my corals. set the coral in a small container with the water it comes in next to your tank. take a piece of airline tubing and tie a small knot in it at one end to restrict/control the flow. Start a siphon from the tank your placing the coral into, and use the knot at the end to only let out enough to make a drip---drip---drip. once the small container has doubled the water volume you started with pour out half of that water. increase the drip rate slightly and repeat 1 or 2 more times and then place in the new tank. I usually dip my corals as well before placing them in any tank.

Kongor

If I get mine from a LFS I usually just float them for 15 minutes to match temps and put them on the sand bed to acclimate to the light. Don't forgot about light acclimation, your corals need to get used to your light more so then your water chemistry IMO regarding softies and LPS.

If I buy online I float for 15 minutes, dump the water in a 1 gallon bin along with frag, add water from my tank until 1 gallon of total volume is achieved (have it marked on container) then add coral dip and let it run with a small power head for 10 minutes.

Never lost a coral following this process to date but I haven't done any SPS or more sensitive corals.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I have the same Acclimator from Foster and Smith, but I don't use it for corals. I simply do a Coral X dip and in the tank it goes on the sandbed to acclimate to lights.

As for acclimating fish with this device, you are supposed to top off with RO/DI water in the event the store did not provide enough of their own water.