Im thinking of stepping up to saltwater

anynamewilldo

Hi everyone,

As you can see this is my first post.
Well I have been running freshwater tanks for about 7 years now and can honestly say that I feel like its time to change. My current tank is 200 litres / 43 Gallons (UK) which Ive had for the past two years which is now starting to bore me with the lack of colours. I would like to get as much information as I can before I start a saltwater tank I wouldnt be looking to start big either I was thinking of starting with a nano set up not sure what a good size would be and even though Ive run tanks for a few years Im not really good with termonolgy so I apologize if i have to ask what you are telling me to do or get. I would also like to know what sort of costs it would incur not for the fish but for the equipment as I will need to save up for a while before I get started.

Many thanks for the help that I hope you will give me.

Reddog170

I would suggest you do some reading. The advanced marine aquarist is a good book to start with. I would also say a nano is not a real good starting point. Without the water volume of a larger tank small things make a big change fast. As for cost it varies, what do you want to keep? full reef or Fish only.
I hope this does not run you off, marine tanks are awesome. Just want you to know what you are getting into.
Look around this site, there is a TON of information right here that can point you in the right direction. Dont skip the reef chronicles. they go through the build and growth of a lot of different tanks, along with the problems they incur and what they had to do to overcome the problems. Best of luck to you and welcome to RS, Shaun

anynamewilldo

Thanks reddog. Im thinking of doing a full reef as I think if your going to do something you might aswell go for the best, I am in no way put off ive always understood that there is a whole heap of stuff to do and know about I am looking forward to getting started, I think im gonna purchase the book you suggested and if you have any other suggestions it would be appreciated.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

You can do it & have great success... I started my 1st swt 2 years ago & have had nothing but success ! RS is a great resource !

coolio21

Well it depends on if you want coral and how many fish you want. Things do spread more easily in a nano tank. But it's not impossible like everyone says it is. I'm a 14gallon biocube owner and its a great tank. It is tedious to do weekly water changes, but the only problems ive ever had is 2 fish dying from a parasite and aphtasia(things to be expected in any tank). Alot of people say its impossible and it will all crash or you should start out with fresh water, uhh they are alittle extreme. Ive never had a tank of my own before my biocube reef tank. I just went to the salt water aquarium store and asked what I needed to do and time frames of adding things and did research. It's work but it works and my tank is doing good. Coral is what I think makes the tank more difficult to take care of. But after watching my nano tank and seeing all the possibilities for coral I plan to upgrade to a bigger tank now. Then you're limited to certain kinds of fish in your nano and not just because, of size either. It seems like all the pretty fish are little jerks. lol But if you want a nano tank since you already have the care of your fresh water then I say do it. But if you want a bigger tank for more possibilities then do that. Theres alot of people who will try and discourage you, and idk why but, as long as youve got your research and know what you're getting into. Don't listen to them. Anyone can do it :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Welcome to RS! :)
The best way to get into the marine aquarium hobby is to read how others are doing that.
Check out the tank build threads on this forum here:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/
Start now to consider the types of corals and animals you would like to keep. Your new aquarium should be built around the recommended requirements to keep these animals.
Next you will want to start posting questions here in the beginners forum asking questions about water quality, salt brands, skimmer brands, lighting requirements and so on.
This is the best site for fast friendly honest advice so you have come to the right place :)
I look forward to seeing your progress over time.
Good luck!

Frank.

anynamewilldo

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I'm replying using my phone so I'm not gonna say much. But I was thinking of doing a full reef aquarium not too fussed on the amount of fish to start with. As long as I can have a few fish and some coral I will be fully satisfied as I just want to see if I will be able to maintain a SWT. I think I'm gonna be spending slot of time on this forum!