IM SR-80 reef build help (LED lights)

mtsully71

Hello reefers,

Looking for any help and guidance on setting up a new reef tank as shown in the title.

My only experience with reef tanks is and RSM 130, unmodified. I live in MT so I have no need for a chiller as my house is always cool. I expect to have a moderate bio load and I use floss, chemipure, purigen etc.

My thoughts for this IM SR-80 (DIMS 48” x 24” x 16”) are:

IM AUQA Gadget CustomCaddy SR-120 Media Basket

IM MiniMax FullSize Media Reactor

Tunze Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9012

Ecotech Marine Vortech MP40

I am considering the following items:

Tunze Comline Filter 3162, probably overkill with the media basket.

Tunze Osmolator 3155, I can top off my own tank or house sitter does it.

I have no experience with LED. I really need help with the LED lighting and controller, I have read about kessil 360, Hydra 56, and echo tech xr30w. They seem to be the popular choices. I think the hydra and ET provide a cleaner look. I want to mount them horizontally across the tank. I believe 2 of the above LED’s would be sufficient for the tank (SPS/LPS/softies). I have included an example of the look I am looking for.

Lighting example.jpg

For a controller I am all ears, keep in mind I am not going to be using an app, changing the lights from work etc. I would like something simple that allows me to do sunrise/sunset, weather/cloud changes etc.

I realize many of you have opinions based on your use of products and successes/failures. As this is my first build it my-self reef, I am asking for your help as being uninformed going into this project could result in unnecessary expenses.

Thank you for all links and help in helping design this new tank.

Sully

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Sully,

We have several members that have built custom tanks & should be able to give you some good advise - look forward to following your new build, once you get it started, be sure to post lots of pics !

DaveK

.. I think the hydra and ET provide a cleaner look. I want to mount them horizontally across the tank. I believe 2 of the above LED’s would be sufficient for the tank (SPS/LPS/softies)....

For a controller I am all ears, keep in mind I am not going to be using an app, changing the lights from work etc. I would like something simple that allows me to do sunrise/sunset, weather/cloud changes etc....

I think either of the LED fixtures your looking at would do just fine. Here are a few additional thoughts.

LED's tend to direct most of their light straight down. You may need yo mound the fixtures higher than expected to get the coverage you want. You also might have to locate hight light corals like SPS, more or less directly, under the fixture.

If your not getting the coverage you want, you may want to add an additional fixture or two. This can get expensive. Look for a even, well lit tank bottom, and also even lighting near the surface.

As for controllers, the basic, no frills one is the one your looking for. I'm with you on this. I fail to see the need to have lighting run by an elaborate, expensive reef controller, but a lot of people like doing that.