I'm joining!

ksicard

I'm joining the blue spot club! My BSJF (still unnamed) is currently drip acclimating. So excited! I can't wait to see what's in store for myself with this new little guy.

theplantman

Congrats make sure you feed a varied diet. I loved mine and he stayed very healthy by feeding numerous different foods. Also, make sure your tank is covered. This is not the fish to keep in an open top tank. Mine every night would jump my overflow and get into the back filtration area in my Solana and I had to build a special screen to prevent it. Good luck and send us some pics.

ksicard

I have acrylic lids I cut myself for tops, and I feed a very vaied diet, live nori seaweed red and green, rods food original blen and cyclopeeze 2x a day, along with a live pod colony cooking in the sump, and the addition of live phyto, rotifers, and more and more pods from time to time. Hopefully that will cover it, I have 4 purple queen anthias who are extermely difficult due to their diet so I hope my feeding regiment is already on par for BSJF. Also while hes acclimating, I'm about to smash up some rocks with a hammer to add more smaller rubble, that will give me loads of different sizes of rubble for him to build his home with. Really looking forward to caring for this fish!

theplantman

You sound like you have it nailed. Glad to hear it. I miss mine, but I went with a mated pair of pearly jaws this time and they are great!

ksicard

That's my backup plan if this doesn't go the way I hoped. He's currently in the tank and hiding, I added plenty of rubble that will do for now. Does it matter where I add the new rubble or will he find his way to the rubble, becuase I just dumped it all in a corner of my tank. I will def have to smash up some more in a week or so but there's plenty for him to get started. Fingers crossed that he's healthy and will thrive! will update soon.

theplantman

My bluespot never stayed in one place for more than a month. He had 3-4 active burrows in my 34. I found that he liked to dig under structure so I would give him a couple of small piles where you want him but where he has some structure for a roof. Mine also was not as active a digger as my pearly jaws. he would dig a burrow and rest in it. My pearly's are constantly maintaining and rearranging their burrow. I also find that best size range for the rubble is 1/4-1/2" and mine loved small shells. My pearls are the same, if a small snail wanders close they grab it and try to incorporate it into the build. The funny part is the temper tantrum they have when their burrow gets up and walks away. :verymad:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This all sounds so FUN! I saw a BSJF at a LFS & sure loved how he looked & he acted like he was just begging me to bring him home with me. Having a new tank & him being delicate (and costing $90.!), I backed off.
They are BEAUTIFUL fish & I wish you lots of luck with your new BSJF :)

ksicard

Thanks plantmant, I'll see if my LFS has some sphare snail shells I can have. I always see tons of empty ones when I'm there. And thanks Diana, and maybe when you become more comfortable with it all you can have BSJF of your own if your prepared to provide the care for him.

ksicard

Still haven't named him but he's doing great, eating and looking really healthy. He's got a lot of character to say the least. He muscles my big fish around when it comes to feeding.

ksicard

Just thought I'd up date and let yall know that I decided on the name lil' G cuz he a little gangster! He's doing super well, eating like a pig and continuing to build borrows all over the place. To keep him happy I took my new frag saw and cut up a bunch of small rubble for him to use. He throws temper tantrums when things try to invade his home. He's quite entertaining and def my favorite fish. I see how everyone can so easily fall in love with these fish. I'm working on setting up my 300g tank and hopefully he does equally as well in the new tank where there will be a lot more fish. They really aren't that difficult to take care of like some people make them out to be, they just require a few things and as long as you provide they reward you with a stunning fish.

One thing I'm not that educated on with them is the thing I hear called the blue spot disease. What is this and can anyone provide links or information on what it is and how to avoid it?

ksicard

They are great fish but I'm sad to say that yesterday after 2 months of being very healthy he's showing the symptoms of the blue spot disease. He's detoriating very quickly and from what i've read it's hopeless to treat and the usually pass after 24-48 hours. I'm really confused how after 2 months of being extremely healthy that this happens. Any ideas or possible ways to remedy? He's in my SPS tank so water quality is very clean and is fed a mix of various foods 2x a day.

ksicard

Thanks for the thread link, I'll pick up some medications for treating bacterial infections today. I'm just not sure how he even got the disease after being very healthy for 2 months.