I'm finding clumping in the sandbed. ???

cracker

Good Evening Folks, so My shallow sandbed is starting to clump. literally turning to stone in places. Just noticed this tonight. The tank is about 18 months old. All the base rock is raised up (not exactly off but not buried in the sand either ) . so I have found it can be bacterial or Ca precipitation. What causes this and how can I learn is it's bacterial or chemical? Any Op's or directions to any articles on this subject.? Thanks
ps, I have found bits & pieces of info nothing meaningful Thank's.

Pat24601

Good Evening Folks, so My shallow sandbed is starting to clump. literally turning to stone in places. Just noticed this tonight. The tank is about 18 months old. All the base rock is raised up (not exactly off but not buried in the sand either ) . so I have found it can be bacterial or Ca precipitation. What causes this and how can I learn is it's bacterial or chemical? Any Op's or directions to any articles on this subject.? Thanks
ps, I have found bits & pieces of info nothing meaningful Thank's.

When I took my tank down, much of my sand bed was like concrete from calcification. It was crazy. It was like I had poured cement into my tank around my live rock. I showed it to someone who works in this hobby and he thought it was crazy that happened after only three years as he'd never seen anything like it on tanks that weren't like decades old. He said it happens a lot in the ocean, but not usually in aquariums so young.

So, I guess my point is, I don't know, but based on his response it sounds like it might not be a subject with a wide array of people all that knowledgeable about it.

I then showed it to someone else who also works in the hobby and the only suggestion he had for dealing with the issue was to do a rescape after it gets too problematic and break up clumps along the way when you can.

So, that's what little I know. I know that doesn't help.

mr_tap_water

Get yourself some sand shifting starfish and sand shifting snails which will help reduce the clumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracker

I used CaribSea live sand. It claims to be alive ! I doubt that. I have an average 1 to 2 inches. depending what part of the tank it is.

Last edited:

DaveK

With a 1 to 2 inch depth, I'd just use a dowel a couple of feet long and about 1/2" in diameter to lightly stir the sandbed to break up the clumping from time to time. Don't be too aggressive here, you just want to break up the clumping not stir up everything.

As for sand sifting starfish and snails, they can be good but do not overdo them. They need a certain amount of stuff to eat, and will starve if they don't get it.

cracker

Good Idea Dave . The tank I'm referring to is my 75. I swapped out tanks last August 9th. At that time I rinsed out the entire sand bed with tap water,drained & soaked with ro then replaced it. So it's not like it has been in there that long. The idea of keeping it busted up every so often is a doable plan. thanks.!