I'm about to setup a qt tank & treat with copper

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish' started by cracker, Aug 3, 2017.

1. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a Puntata Butter fly for the new 180 . Well it developed white spots . They last a couple if days then disappear . Couple days later they comeback. Anyway I want to treat this fish for ich or velvet .Any reason I can't treat a pair of clowns & a butterfly with copper? Thanks

2. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

I don't see any special reason why you can not treat with copper. From what you describe this sounds more like SW ich, so you might want to treat with hyposalinity.

As a note, velvet is much finer and often looks like the fish is covered in dust. Sometimes this is called gold dust disease.

Coraljunkie likes this.
  3. cracker

Thanks Dave, That's my issue. The white spots are very small . A closeup pic is impossible as the fish is constantly moving & the second I raise my hands ,it dashes for the rocks. So the spots are very small that says velvet. However it comes & goes every 3 or 4 days . This fish is light colored so I can't see anything on it's side. :dunno: Could be both I have no idea which. It eats like a pig and always moving around picking at the rocks.
    Iv'e had ich before but it's been a real long time. Guess I was just real lucky . I hope I'm not going to stress out a delicate fish. Thank's

4. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

It's possible to have both, but usually velvet kills very quickly. If your fish do have it, move on it as quickly as you can. Consult the threads in fish diseases and treatments.

Coraljunkie and cracker like this.
  5. cracker

I'm getting more & more confident that this fish has ich and not velvet. The fact that the fish is out & eating very well after 2 weeks is a good thing I'm going to explore hypo salinity treatment. Sounds a lot less complicated .

6. cracker

Ok , so now, I'm looking into the TTM (Tank Transfer method). Let's see there is the ich management method. (IMM ). Can't leave out the PBM that's the ( Paul B method ) ! What else is there ? :confused:
    Any way the fish is out ,eating just fine and about,pickin at the rock. So I don't think I have to act right away. I still can't understand how I let You People talk me into this ! ;)

7. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Talk those fish into eating some real food with real live bacteria in it like worms or clams, then you won't have to let anyone talk you into anything and your fish will go on to live 40 years and collect FSS.
    (Fish Social Security)
    My fish laugh at ich, they are laughing now and it is annoying. SHUT UP FISH!

Pat24601 likes this.
  8. Pat24601

Pat24601 Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Ha! I'll try that when it comes up.