I'm a newbie to saltwater reef tanks

mrgster5

I adopted a 3 year old established 29G Biocube. It's a beautiful tank with live rock, live sand, a Clown Fish, 2 Chromis, and some snails. We've owned the tank since Nov 2011. About 3 weeks after we got the tank set up we added 3 hermit crabs, a shrimp, and a watchman gobi, they did great. They did so great that my kids wanted to add one more fish. We went to the fish store and asked them for advice about a good fish to add. They suggested a bi-color pseudo. This fish seemed to do very well too. We were concerned that the clown fish might be too territorial, but he didn't bother him at all. Unfortunately the bi-color started going after the chromis and our gobi. A week later our shrimp and gobi went missing. We were so devestated. We just had to blame the bi-color, he was the only addition to cause any trouble. I tore my whole tank apart, got him out, then promptly returned him to the store stating he was being too aggressive. We picked out another shrimp, gobi and a firefish. We brought them home and introduced them. What a disaster, our clown fish immediately started chasing the firefish. The firefish was so fast he found a whole in the rock and hid there. He would come out for moments and the clown fish would chase him back in. The clown fish also chased the gobi, but the gobi chased back. It was very interesting how after the gobi didn't go running the clown fish left him alone after that. It took about a week before the firefish could come out without being chased by the clown. So about 3 weeks of having the new shrimp, gobi and firefish the gobi is missing again. It's been 2 days now and we have searched the tank with a flashlight and the back of the tank. He's no where! :( We just can't figure out what's going on. The water and salinity are perfect, I do water changes every 4 weeks, and feed them 1-2 times a day. They get flake and brine shrimp. The water temp is perfect. It just seems like we are having some bad luck or maybe the clown fish finally won.

PS I was going to upload a pic but they are all above 50MB so the forum won't let me.

IMG_0922-1.JPG

Last edited:
well i would do water changes a little more frequently like 1 or 2 (maybe 3 if a fish dies) every 2 weeks. but you might have a eel maybe a mantis shrimp look at night with a flash light to see cause if a shrimp and then a gobi goes then somethings up.

i don't thing the clown will just kill a cleaner shrimp. maybe bother the gobi but just so you know that gobis dig under rocks and make a cave he might just be hiding.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
wel21_e0.gif

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome.. If the tank has been up and running for several years as you say i would not worry about unwanted hitchhikers.. you would have most likely found them by now...

Clown fish can get nasty.. you should see them fight over a female. they are not as cuddly and sweet as portrayed... Damsels
I have personally had problems with firefish jumping out. I would imagine being pestered and bullied by another fish is a good enough reason to take the plunge.... check your floor regularly when gobys are present. aside from jumping any fish will hide if its scared.

Fme in a small peaceful tank with a clownfish.. especially a clarkii.. the clownfish will most likely be the bully unless measures are taken to avoid that,,and sometimes there is nothing you can do other than removal.... or the addition of a more dominant fish..(which is not possible in some cases)

LOL fish tank dramas... good luck to ya..