ideas on what fish to get

flyline

ok i was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on some fish to study up on to maybe put in my tank..i have a 120 gal long im looking for bottom fish mid level fish and top water fish, just want there to be stuff to look at also fish active during the day and night..im making the tank a reef so i would like low agression fish thanks for the thoughts in advance:turntable also if im forgeting anything please throw it out there

Robzilla

Well your inverts will go crazy at night. Mine do not move at all during the day. I have a valentini puffer that swims around at night as well. You should watch them closely tho as they can nip at corals. Mine has nipped at each coral once to see if it is food and hasn't touched them since. Fairy wrasses are great too. They are extremely colorful and active, while being peaceful at the same time. Blennies, gobies and hawks all have unique personalities and are fun to watch. Chromis are good if you want a schooling effect.

Give us some more ideas of what you are looking for and we can give better suggestions and compatability.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
If I had my way I'd invest in a pair of Doni's clowns, they are just awesome. I love gobies too if you don't mind diggers.

flyline

actually im going to need a gobie soon to stir the sand bed...do all gobies act pretty much the same and if so what are some of the more colorful ones...i had a clown fish a while back i liked him in this tank i was looking to maybe get a pair of them hoping that they will pair up...i know clowns are a little aggresive is that somthing i should wait on till the end of my stocking? i think i have read somthing somwhere saying to add the most aggresive fish last so it will be less likley they will pick on the docile fish...oh and one more question where is a good site to look at pics and get good info on fish and inverts...once again thank you guys for the help and opinions

flyline

ok what about the gobies do they all act prety much the same and just different colors? and with the clowns are they somthing i should add last?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
With gobies you need to consider their diets, jumping abilitiy and whether or not they need sand to burrow in. I personally like gobies but you must prepare for them. I'm considering a YWG or a 2 spot. lots of people like the bluespot jawfish as well.

flyline

yea ive been doing a little reading on them i have read that some are notorius for carpet surfing i would not like to put anything over my tank so what are some that will most likley stay in the tank...also on their diet ive read some end up dieing cuz their diet is hard to keep up with, what are some that are known to be not too finicky eaters..i do have sugar sand in the tank so i would like a sand burrowing one and maybe one that will pair up with a pistol shrimp...thanks its nice to hear first had accounts from people who have had them and not some one from the lfs just trying to sell me somthing

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I personally am leaning towards the YWG which will pair with the pistol.

David Shaw

Go for a yellow spot goby. They sift the sand beautifully, keep it nice and clean and have great personalities. I have one (used to have 2 in the tank).

Robzilla

If they are a mated pair then it would be ok. I have heard of a few aggression stories with them in unmated pairs.