Ideas on catching a yellow clown goby?

JJB103

Does anybody have any tricks to getting a yellow clown goby out of tank? Mine decided to start shredding all my sps. Every time I get close he ducks into little tiny holes in the LR. He won't even go near the fish trap I have.

reeferman

good luck,ive been trying to catch mine for over 3 years.the closest ive gotten is with a shopvac with 3/4 clear tubing connected to it but alas,she got away.just wait until yours is sexually mature and starts laying eggs in branches and killing off big patches[if its female]

Snid

I found this technique someone used on another forum...

I turned off all the powerheads and pumps till the tank was still. I put a big net in the tank, with the stick (shaft) part of the net resting on the tank rim and the net part about 1/2 way down in the tank. I put some cyclopeeze on the surface of the water above the net, and near the goby. I waited for awhile and he finally went over and started nipping at the cyclops on the surface, above the net. When he was over the net, I quickly swooped it up and caught him.

reeferman

my goby is about 5 years old and knows every trick in the book.she knows when i have catching her on my mind even before i do

ryan3

Don't feed your fish in 2 days , then put some food in trap, she will come. That way a catch mine.
good luck.

JJB103

I almost caught him in his sleep tonight but, oh well, next time. I have a love/hate relationship with this fish
ejybequq.jpg

reeferman

the problem with not feeding a clown goby is that when they get hungry,theyll just go eat an acro polyp so that doesnt work for them

JJB103

The lion will eat all my inverts too though. I am going to try and put an acro in the fish trap and see if he takes the bait.

Choff

I kind of like the suggestion of waiting a day or 2 to feed. Ya, he might hit some polyps, but could be a good trade ...depending on what corals he chooses.

Reggie, it wasn't for sale. It was in a dt with all wrasses. No way they are catching any without tearing the tank down.

JJB103

I got the little guy. When he was asleep I lured him to one side of the tank with a light. With a little luck he finally stuck himself to the side glass. I put the flashlight directly in front of him to "blind" him and slowly scooped him up with a net.

Snid

Why is it that when we are up late doing something we want to be doing our spouses yell at us to get in bed, but when they stay up late we get yelled at for questioning why they are still up? :shrug: