Ideal water parameters and dosing

Teeran88

So this would be my first post, I'm generally more of a post lurker but I'm not really finding the answer to my question this time. I have a red sea max s 400 and have accumulated a fairly well rounded collection of LPS and SPS (a number of different species but mostly small/frags). I've been dosing my tank and killing myself trying to slowly raise my levels to Red Sea's recommended levels for SPS frags and growth.
Salinity:35
Alkalinity:12.6/4.5 (dKH meq/l)
Calcium:465
Magnesium:1390
But everything else I see online suggests that these numbers are fairly high. Why would such a reputable company print such high levels as "optimal" while being at odds with most everything else I read? What are the positives/ negatives with following these numbers versus most of the lower numbers I see others posting?

reeferman

those numbers are high.the negative/positives will be faster growth and less color.i would rather have color,growth happens.try to keep your levels as close to NSW[natural sea water] as possible.if its good enough for the ocean,its good enough for our tanks.anything higher than nsw is just a waste of dosing and money.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
How's the tank looking? Stability is impt n if its not broke don't fix it. How bout some pics

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

TylerHaworth

I'm a fan of keeping the levels stable at average readings, maintaining elevated levels is much trickier... 420ppm Calcium, 9Dkh Alkalinity, and 1350 Magnesium are my sweet spots.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success!

Teeran88

Ah, therein lies the problem, My tank is staying fairly stable at 450 Ca and 1320 Mg but alkalinity keeps creeping back down (especially after water changes) and i have to work to get it back up.

And I do know with higher levels like that you're sacrificing growth for color, which is true, acros aren't as vibrant as when I first got them but I am seeing some decent growth from everything. Loving that the single Duncan head I bought not too long ago now has four baby heads growing around it :)
I think I may back it down a bit though, I am more comfortable with the idea of keeping parameters similar to that of the natural levels these creatures are pulled from.

Teeran88

Seriously, am I just tapatalk illiterate or do you have to be a genius to load photos on this dang thing?! I've tried to load about twenty times in different ways and it just keeps throwing error messages at me :mad: