Id what's growing?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This little brown "thin shelf" is growing from the edge of the LR my trumpet coral is on. It's only about the thickness of a mushroom. Hard to photo very close but maybe someone can see it.
It's just left go the green bubble algae (that I didn't see until I took the picture & then removed).
Need to know if I need to scrape off the (whatever it is) or let it stay?
null_zpsec8d3114.jpg
[/IMG]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
It doesn't move....so it could be some kind of algae. :dunno: it is growing so I needed to know if I should let it.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
google scroll algae and you'll see some cool images. I'd let it grow. I think reefcleaners used to sell, maybe still do.

Mike Johnson

Very cool, leave it. If it was invasive you'd hear about it. Was going to say Padina (scroll algae) at first, but believe it to be Peyssonnelia sp. Anyway, very cool; to me at least.

frisbee

My guess would be lobophora algae. It looks kind of cool, but can be PITA to get rid of.

Mike Johnson

Okay. It very well could be Lobophora AKA Brown Wafer Algae or Encrusting Fan-Leaf Algae. One way to determine if it is: I'm going to quote a book "Reef Invertebrates" by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner.

"This algae resembles several other common genera including Padina, Mesophora and Pseudolithoderma. As its common names plainly suggest, Lobophora species are fan-shaped algae that encrust upon rocks and glass in the aquarium. It is found in both the tropical Pacific and the Caribbean/Atlantic and occurs in a wide range of colors and shades including brown, red, and green, although curled brown species are most common. At first, the prostrate blades of this algae are often mistaken for brown coralline algae. One touch, however, and the gelatinous and almost rubbery feel of this algae lets one know that it is not calcareous. It is not a significant algae to aquarists with regard for useful inclusion in living filtration dynamics, nor is it especially noxious or inclined to become a nuisance. Lobophora may be enjoyed the marine aquarium for its unique appearance, and it can be controlled by limiting nutrients or using harsh grazers, such as Diadema, as necessary.

So, you're going to have to touch it and let us know.

Mike Johnson

If it is Lobophora almost all the herbivorous species will eat it. My tang keeps it gone in my tank. So, either way it is a good thing. Let us know on the touch test.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
OK...the "touch test" is done & it feels like a thin guitar pick. But from the pictures I've googled it does look like the Lobophora Algae pictures & has a tortoise shell swirl of brown color. Looking at it closer, there is at least 2 more smaller ones behind it. Guess I'll leave it for now.
That green bubble algae has been showing up & I'm not very skilled at removal of it...I do NOT want a crab in my tank. That's my battle right now other than EVERYTHING is turning bright purple.
Thanks for the replies....I would have had NO IDEA what to search for! Love RS!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
WOW, looks like some sort of spotted snail like thing in between my trumpet coral heads....now something else to watch & see if it moves. LOL, never a dull moment tank watching even after 6 months, things just show up. :bugout::eek:

(Looks like a spot of coraline algae on the back glass in that picture but it's not)...may need another touch test :(

Mike Johnson

OK...the "touch test" is done & it feels like a thin guitar pick. But from the pictures I've googled it does look like the Lobophora Algae pictures & has a tortoise shell swirl of brown color. Looking at it closer, there is at least 2 more smaller ones behind it. Guess I'll leave it for now.
That green bubble algae has been showing up & I'm not very skilled at removal of it...I do NOT want a crab in my tank. That's my battle right now other than EVERYTHING is turning bright purple.
Thanks for the replies....I would have had NO IDEA what to search for! Love RS!!

If you can find a Black Mithrax crab I can guarantee that they are reef safe, unlike emeralds that go rouge. You'll never see it as they are very shy, but you'll never have any bubble algae.

kyle4201

Yea D, I love it. every couple of days I see something and have to post it up for an ID. Lol mike is working on some weird probably snail like barnacle looking thing I found today. Lol. everyday I come home and basically watch my refugium for like an hour. My friend and roommate wonder why I don't look at the main tank anymore. Lol lol

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you can find a Black Mithrax crab I can guarantee that they are reef safe, unlike emeralds that go rouge. You'll never see it as they are very shy, but you'll never have any bubble algae.

OK Mike...I am seeing more of the green bubble algae & even tho I hate crabs, I'm considering looking for the Mithrax Crab you mentioned. Are they impossible to find? I am seeing more green bubbles & they have me worried! I do not want them taking over my tank :(