ID this Black Algae

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have this black algae that forms on the same rock all the time. I've removed the rock and scrubbed it but it always comes back. It easily siphons out and it comes up in sheets. It has been in my tank for months but it has always remained in the same location until the past 2 weeks. Any idea what it is:
black3.jpg

black2.jpg

black.jpg

catran

Oh, I believe that is Cyanobacteria. It's normally red, but can be pretty dark. You definitely need better flow on that rock.

I love reefers...

engineer goby

The flow there is pretty good the mp40 blows right by it. If it's cyano i'm not to worried about it. Thanks

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My first cyano was black and it was persistently at the same location. Better lighting on the spot where mine was, did the trick.

fishguy4

yep thats cyano. nasty stuff ive had experience with it and i hate it. have you tried maybe a sea hare? those things are like vacuums! plus it will takeout the roots which is prob why it keeps coming back.

engineer goby

I would buy a sea hare but I'm afraid it will eat the algae faster then it can grow and starve. Is this a founded thought? The tank is a 90 gallon and for the most part is algae free.

steved13

PREMIUM
Cyanobacteria is easily siphoned out. If it doesn't siphon easily it's probably not Cyano.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi ClearWaters
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Hopefully some members can advise... a pic could help too