ICH? Help!

JenniferG1100

Hi! I'm new to all the aquarium stuff. I have 4 yellowtail damsel and one of them looks like it has bubbles on him or like a "white veil" . Not sure need. Help!

DaveK

Ich looks like small wite dots all over the fish. It is likely you don't have this problem.

How large is your tank?

Adding 4 yellow tail damsels is usually a mistake, unless it's a really large tank and they have room to establish territories. Usually they fight among each other until you only have one left. I think that is what is occurring in your case, but I can't be sure.

Damsels often cause more problems than they are worth. I'd return them to the LFS that sold them to you. Then find a new LFS.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
hard to tell from the pics...

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

if you want to read up on ich... here a great link +1 davek post ^

Lee Birch's (Chemist and Microbiologist) Advice on Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

Squatch XXL

Damsels often cause more problems than they are worth.
I cannot agree more. Damsels once comfortable in their "territory" will wear down and kill much larger fish. Even one can upset a harmonious community tank.

It is sometimes hard to get photos of fish, let alone close ups of possible infections. Most if not all infections SHOULD require all fish to be located to a quarantine tank that has no live rock etc and medicated there.

The reason for the quarantine tank (AKA "Q-tank") is that most medicines have adverse effects on other livestock....sometime corals, sometimes inverts....usually both. A treatment for Ich can and will kill all inverts.

Ich also requires that since the display tank cannot be treated that it remain "fallow" (without fish) for at least 8 weeks.

Another tidbit is that there are diseases that are specific to certain types of fish. Clowns, Damsels and chromis are susceptible to certain diseases.

Your photo is unclear, but it almost looks like a white patch near the eye and head of the fish. this may help with identification and treatment.

Good luck.