i would like to hook up my RO/DI.....how?

althea2you

i would like to hook it up down in the luandy room to the faucets back there? whats the easiest way to do that? what do i need to get in order to do that? i haver the hot faucet and a cold faucet both hooked up to my washer....what do i need for that area.. also for the RO/DI unit area? is there a fitting i need to get for it. see this is a used system, but its free! and he gave me all the new filter to replace the old with.. here is a pic of what i got...i believe its a 100gpd unit...6 stage...

RoDiunit.jpg

here is the info on it that i found through the web...

RD-102
Overall rejection/removal rate: 99 to 100%
1st stage: 5 micron sediment filter, removes sediment, rust, dirt. (replace every 6-12 month)
2nd & 3rd stage: premium grade coconut shell carbon block filter, removes chlorine, chloramines, bad taste and odor (replace every 6-12 month)
4th stage high rejection TFC/TFM-100GPD membrane, removes 95% to 97% of chemical, minerals, dissolved solids, like arsenic, lead, silica, nitrate, copper, ammonia, sodium, fluoride, etc. (replace every 12-24 month)
5th & 6th stage: de-ionized filter, further removes the mineral and chemical contents of water and achieving 99% to 100% removal rate (replace as needed, or after 600 to 1000 gallons). It comes with refillable clear casing. The DI resin inside changes color from green to dark brown when the resin is exhausted.

Operating parameter:
*Feed water pressure: 40-80 psi, (for pressure below 40 psi, use booster pump or permeate pump)
*Feed water temperature: 40-100 F
*pH range: 3-10 *Hardness: lower than 500ppm (hard water will shorten the life of filters, but system will still perform) Using a water softening system prior to RO+DI filter will prolong the life of filters.
*Dissolved iron: less than 1 ppm
*Total Dissolved Solids (TDS): less than 1000 ppm, higher TDS will shorten the life of filters.

Dimension: 15in width x 16in height x 5.5in depth
The system come with under-the-sink adapter, drain clamp, tubing, shut off valve. Optional easy-connect adapters are available for countertop installation or garden hose/ laundry room installation.

well, i guess ill give a look to see what they have on their site for fittings... i just dont know what im looking at...

here is their website, in case anyone wantds to point me in the right direction!:D

Water General: Aquarium Water Purification Systems

Not the same connection as the washer. The washer is a much larger hose, at least mine is. I'm not sure if you can find a fitting for that or not.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The "Saddle Valve" above works pretty darn good. If you're not comfortable with that take the unit to your local "Home Improvement Center" and explain to them that you want to "Tee Off" from your cold Water Supply Line to the INPUT side of this unit. I don't know all the terms but once you're there I don't think it will take the associate more than about 3 minutes to put a couple of items in your hand and not much longer for you to hook it up.

SCORE on the FREEBIE!!

Octoman

I'm sure HD could set you up, Something like this...

745a.jpg

And a "y" so you don't have to constantly switch the washer hose and R/O feed out....
big%5Cclaber_doublesSPLIT.jpg

althea2you

oh thank you so much everyone!!!

what do you think is easier or more practical...to main line straight into the cold water line of my washer? or get the splitter? and connector? i cant put it under my sink... no room( kitchen one) and in the laundry room i have a sump i think its called...i believe i could just fasten the hose there to dump the waste water...what do you think?

fishnu

I used a wye, worked well. Except for my miserable pressure.

Dumped the waste water in the washer drain....Occasionally use it to do my wash! Trying to stay green.

burning2nd

guess ill chime in..

pritty eazy.. 2 ways that i can think of.
one
pierce valve
Picture3002756.jpg

or the faucet hook up type

and then even they, (if your renting) you close you tee valve dissconnect the other side, and pull out,

dobejazz

oh thank you so much everyone!!!

what do you think is easier or more practical...to main line straight into the cold water line of my washer? or get the splitter? and connector? i cant put it under my sink... no room( kitchen one) and in the laundry room i have a sump i think its called...i believe i could just fasten the hose there to dump the waste water...what do you think?

we dump our waste water into the sump pump on our hook up - I can ask my husband (when he is done with his movie) where he has the input at. Our set up sounds identical to what you are trying to do

althea2you

thanks evryone... i went and got "Y" connector for the faucet that goes the the washing mashine. and then an attachment that screws onto the "Y" that will hold the tubing tight. i was already to do it... and for petes sake i cant get the washer hose off the faucet! :p i feel like such a weakiling! LOL... but i didnt want to break it, or bend it somehow... now wait a min,...

the connector to the Y is brass i think... is that a problem? well whatever they use in plumbing, that the material it is... i went to LOWES and that was all he could find for me... ill get a pic... i used a plastic connector thoguh...

vdituri

I'm thinking the brass will be o.k. because at that point it is still Freshwater.
Mine is plastic though. Someone should have some better advice for you than mine, but I am curious on that one.

BobBursek

the brass is ok on the fresh side, but if you can find non brass/copper it is better to just be that much more safe!!!!!

althea2you

ill look around... but ill have to go to Menards or Home Depot.. Lowes didnt have ANYTHING close to what i was looking for in the plastics... so...ill look. thanks!

althea2you

oh, one more thing... the lines on the unit... yellow blue and black... which one hooks to the water main? i know the black is waste water... so yello or blue? tia!

BobBursek

Yellow is your outlet of RO/DI the inlet is the line going into your sediment filter. You will want to mount the DI cartridges vertical not horizontal like they are now, if horizontal you will not get the full benifet of the DI resin.