I Pulled The Trigger on a S-650...

phishphan1

Well, I finally did it and pulled the trigger on a shiny new RSM S-650. The white beauty should be delivered on Friday morning and then the fun really begins.

I'll try to do my best to keep you all updated with pictures of the build as it progresses.

I was in the hobby about 9 years ago and had a 120 Oceanic RR mixed reef that I kept for about three years until I had to move. Now I'm getting my feet "wet" again...

Cheers,

Phishphan1

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

phishphan1

I got the tank delivered this past Friday and proceeded to get her set up over the weekend. I'm still tweaking a bit to achieve the proper water levels in the sump while minimizing the gurgling noise from the overflow.

Here are a few pics if the setup.
zany5ydy.jpg

agaqu2y6.jpg

zesyvada.jpg

gyhu3a3y.jpg

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phishphan1

I used BRS dry rock. A first for me as I have always used live rock in the past. I also used caribsea live sand and prolly have a little too much in there.

Once the water clears a bit I may redo some of my rockwork and smooth out my sand a bit.

I also think I'll seed my rock with a couple pieces of hand picked live rock from the LFS.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very pretty :yehoo:
Going to be exciting seeing it come to life.
Personally I don't think that looks like too much sand.
I wish I would have started out with a deeper sand bed. All the beneficial life in it & the fact that you probably lose some of the depth as the tank matures is something to think about.
Thanks for sharing sharing your beautiful pictures...hope to see more updates soon!

yycguy

Looks really good! I have the 500 in white and love it, you will appreciate the clean look as I do and it doesn't show any salt creep.
Some of us in here ditched the Cskim so if you start to have difficulty ditch it and you will be much happier at least that's my opinion lol

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Welcome to RS and the gang. Your probably very happy with the tank and should be as they are smashing looking tanks. Don't worry about the skimmer, it does work fine tbh, just a bit noisy. Feel free to ask us any questions and we will try to help :)

phishphan1

Thanks for the feedback on the skimmer. I'm not getting much skimmate at the moment, but that is probably due to an extremely low bioload. I have mostly dry rock and added about 14lbs of live rock yesterday to help seed my tank.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Yea that won't start pulling anything out until its broken in and there is actually something to extract. Just try getting the tuning balanced with the return to the dt in the mean time.
If I remember correctly I had the red tap a quarter open for that.

phishphan1

Here's a pic with a couple of the new pieces of live rock. I just checked my ammonia and it still reads 0.
te8ahu3e.jpg

phishphan1

So it looks like I'm going to need a chiller as my temp is hitting the 82 degree range while my condo is 71 degrees.

My question is would I be better off getting a dedicated pimp for the chiller or upgrading my existing return pump to handle the return, chiller and skimmer?

Thoughts?

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Go with a additional pump mate tbh. I get the heat out my tank by shutting off two of the circulation pumps at the rear, but I do run a couple of vortechs instead.

Nob35

+1 for additional pump as it would be hard to regulate flow otherwise. If you plan on adding some type of automated controller later you could have the additional pump only run when needed for the chiller. I have my pump hooked up to a apex and only use it when my UV and chiller are running.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
+1 for additional pump as it would be hard to regulate flow otherwise. If you plan on adding some type of automated controller later you could have the additional pump only run when needed for the chiller. I have my pump hooked up to a apex and only use it when my UV and chiller are running.

Just a note if you do, I'd try to run the pump at least once a hour just to stop the water in the chiller going anaerobic.

Nob35

Good point about running the pump every hour or so. Mine turns off for 2 hrs every 6 for my UV. It may also be a good idea to get a pump with soft start if you are going to do this.

phishphan1

Good point about running the pump every hour or so. Mine turns off for 2 hrs every 6 for my UV. It may also be a good idea to get a pump with soft start if you are going to do this.

What are some examples of pumps with soft start?

For those of you that use vortechs, do you notice the noise much on these? I am considering getting one to increase the flow behind my rock work. If I do this, I might turn off a couple of the powerheads along the back to save some heat and energy.