HELP! I need advice from someone who knows live rock!

Elias

Hi i've got a few fresh water aquariums the largest is 540 liters and another 450 liters that i'm turning into a saltwater aquarium. I currently only have guppys in my 540 liter freshwater aquarium but plan to breed and add Amanoshrimp into the mix, i also have two 52 liters aquariums with said AmanoShrimp that i will try to breed, one of them has nothing growing in it but the other is as green as can be.

PS since i'm new i have no idea how to change the title of the post.

Last edited:

DaveK

Planning is the key to success in SW systems. Figure out what you want to keep in the tank, and what upgrades you will need to make to the equipment in order to do it. You will likely find that the tank is the least expensive part of a SW system. If I had typical FW equipment, I'd expect to replace the lighting, and the filtration system as part of the conversion to SW. I'd also expect to ass a large powerful skimmer.

Elias

Planning is the key to success in SW systems. Figure out what you want to keep in the tank, and what upgrades you will need to make to the equipment in order to do it. You will likely find that the tank is the least expensive part of a SW system. If I had typical FW equipment, I'd expect to replace the lighting, and the filtration system as part of the conversion to SW. I'd also expect to ass a large powerful skimmer.

I'm currently running two tunze 9004 internal skimmers, two tunze internal filters, two wave makers and 3 AI Prime Led Lights but i'm considering returning them and buying 6 black led boxes from Ebay

Heres a link to that light: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-1...itm=281854916408&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

I've seen a lot of people have great success with these lights.

DaveK

Assuming your converting the 450 liter tank, I would consider the internal skimmers and filter too small for most setups. I think they would only work if you keep a very light livestock load in the system.

Personally I'd keep the AI Primes. They have a lot better spectrum and control over any of the "brand x" lighting you'll see on ebay. However lighting is very dependent upon what you want to keep in the tank. That's why you figure that out first. You need not figure out every last item, but you need to have some idea of the general direction you want to take the tank.