i have removed my bio balls

BigFish11

So i have removed all of my bio-balls that were in my wet dry sump, now what? What should i put in the place of the bio balls, i cannot fit a light fixture under the tank, should i put live rock or sand?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
All at once? Is this an established tank?

Sump is better off sleek and clean with no rock, sand or anything in them IMHO

BigFish11

no i have been removing about a third every 2 weeks and actually i fibbed a little when i get home from work today, i will be removing the last third, its not all out yet

bwhit1406

Do you have a filter sock ? When I went from a bio ball setup to a filter sock I immediately noticed better water quality

no1bubba

Yes I use filter socks regularly, in fact, I purchase the micro fabric by the yard and make them myself. I don't like the looks of my bio balls and have been wondering how to clean them. I guess I'll do better and get rid of them over a month or so. Thank you, Bubba

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Bubba I think that's a good idea but I want to stress something.... when I suggest something to someone I like for them to understand WHY so they are better able to make an informed decision and maybe even be able to help others in the future. Do a search here on BioBalls and read why we suggest getting rid of them. Knowledge is your best friend when it comes to reefing :)