I have just nuked $400+ worth of coral..now I have questions about the aftermath.....

igoblox

I have a 29g BioCube, its been up a while and everything has been fully acclimated and all coral has been thriving.
This is my LiveStock-
Fish:
Firefish
Royal Gramma
Six Lined Wrasse.
Sebae Anem
Coral:
Green Button Polyps
Goniporia
Torch Coral
Green Torch Coral
Green Mushrooms
Red Mushrooms
Red Chili Coral
Brain Coral and

Everything was in perfect harmony ...Until...
2 days ago I noticed my return pump (MJ1200 -replaced the OEM pump ) spraying bubbles.
So after confirming the water level to be low in the 2nd and 3rd chambers, I added about 1 gal of water directly into the 2 chambers.
Yes...it was tap water but I use the API Stress Coat to condition the water and verify temp. I have done every top-off this way since the beginning with this tank, never an issue.
Using a half gal pitcher that is always pre-rinsed prior to use.
So 2 trips using it makes it a little under a gallon I topped off with only adding the API solution, no salt.
Well after the second dump I glanced at the tank and EVERYTHING was in meltdown.
I have seen coral get agitated and recede, but this was different. It was like I poured paint thinner in there..corals were inflamed and swollen, some shriveled, some were actually falling apart as I watched. Even the turbo snails were refusing to come out of their shells.
The next morning I woke up to a very cloudy tank and coral that only looked worse.
*Keep in mind my fish were perfectly fine through all this..no labored breathing or erratic swimming.

The situation was the same 10 hrs later when I returned from work.
SO I did the only thing I could...a 25% water change.
When doing so I went ahead and removed my Sebae Anem and Red Chili Coral. I was worried the anem had died and released toxins in the water and the Chili Coral was just falling apart.

2 hrs after the water change I noticed about 10 green button polyps opening and the tip of my Goniporia showing. So that definitely helped.

I have no clue as to what actually happened. If I had to guess..my only thought would be maybe the plastic pitcher had been contaminated. But I store it away after every use, its ONLY function is adding top off water...and I rinsed it good before using it.

In any case if anyone has any ideas on what could have happened...please share.
It really doesnt matter ..Whats done is done.

BUT here is where I currently need help:

Today coming home from work..the tank is alot LESS cloudy. 24hrs after water change.
My Goniporia was half extended and about 20 green button polyps were out.
Everything else is still in bad shape.
Please look at the last set of pics marked TODAY.

If anyone can tell me if any of these coral may still be alive and left in...OR if they are dead and should be removed. Esp the torch coral with the mucus cocoon now over it.

Thanks and sorry for the long post...

This was my coral 5min before the 'top-off'

9106375006_4fe5e25bfe_c.jpg

Goniporia and Polyps
9104147557_d5591bb548_c.jpg

Torch
9106372900_b70f03273e_c.jpg

Green Torch
9106379430_b3416cae38_c.jpg

Here is what was happening after the 'top-off'
Torch-
9106374736_c7e5771f7b_c.jpg

Then to this after an hour
9104144905_8bd98bc304_c.jpg

Goniporia
9106380596_dab51eae80_c.jpg

Then after an hour
9106379892_5f4958f53b_c.jpg

Green Torch
9106379676_6d86c8a984_c.jpg

Chili
9106375526_e6f7dc7d3b_c.jpg

Mushrooms
9106377912_292723d492_c.jpg

Green Button Polys
9106376224_038d4666b9_c.jpg

Brain Coral (immediatelt losing the green membrane)
9106381774_8a83f5c93a_c.jpg

Sebae Anem
9106381734_1f1fff2d1c_c.jpg

TODAY (this is whats going on now)
These 2 are visibly still "ALIVE"
9106378358_f0309e72e2_c.jpg

Green Torch
9106378690_4d71068d8b_c.jpg

Brain Coral (no green left)
9106381060_34ba29441c_c.jpg

Torch (has a Mucus cocoon over the opening now)
9106373384_c430cd1893_c.jpg

Mushrooms
9104147595_7e47d93550_c.jpg

Last edited:

DaveK

Re: I have just nuked $400+ worth of coral..now I have questions about the aftermath.

Yes...it was tap water but I use the API Stress Coat to condition the water and verify temp. I have done every top-off this way since the beginning with this tank, never an issue. ...

This was almost certainly the source of your problem. You are almost always going to have issues with tap water. Yes, some people do use it, but playing Russian roulette with your system. Tap water can vary a lot in quality throughout the year. What might be ok at one time can be garbage another. Water companies will vary their treatment process due to the quality of the source water they are using. In addition tap way can be a source of nitrates and phosphates, which will cause algae problems.

I would also question the use of Stress Coat. It introduces a lot of garbage into your tank. In my opinion, and I stress my opinion, the product is inferior to many others available.

Here is what you want to do. Continue to make water changes. You had a lot of corals die, and there is likely to me at least a small ammonia spike.

Long term, get your self your own RO/DI unit, and use that water to mix your salt water for water changes and for a source of top off water. It may seem expensive at $150 or so but it's cheep insurance compared to nuking your tank.

igoblox

Re: I have just nuked $400+ worth of coral..now I have questions about the aftermath.

I understand.
I hadn't thought about the tap quality actually changing, with that said.. I have to agree completely.

I just got the Stress Coat recently...didnt know it funked up the water.
Up till then I had been using Instant Ocean Marine Conditioner...is that any better?
If not what product do you suggest?

"Continue to make water changes..." You mean over the coming days? Or wait a week or so?

I have been testing my ammonia levels...staying relatively low. It clocked in at about .25-.30ppm earlier tonight. I have SeaChem Ammonia Neutralizer which I added.
Is that something I should also avoid?

I can't tell which coral are completely dead...should I give them a sometime to see if they recover. Or just toss the ones that arent showing any signs of life?

Sorry for all the questions.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Also I will definitely look into a RO/DI unit at this point.

DaveK

Since I use RO/DI water, I don't need additional additives. I keep a bottle of SeaChem Prime around just in case I have an emergency, and need large amounts of water fast, but I can't tell you if it's any better or not.

As long are the water is looking cloudy or your getting an ammonia reading, I'd make about a 20% - 30% change daily. Once things seem stable, you can back off the water changes. I'd also recommend you filter the water with carbon, if your not already doing so.

I'm not a big fan of ammonia neutralizing products. Generally making the water changes is your best option.

Of the corals pictured, I'd say the brain and torch are gone. The green torch looks partially gone, but some if it may come back. The anemone looks bad. It's it's not holding fast, remove it and give it the smell test. Normally, it will smell sort of bad. If it's dead or dying it will smell really foul and nasty. If that's the case remove and discard it. Wait and see on the others. They may come back. If they start looking worse, use the smell test on them also.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM

Wow buddy, that's a tough one. I think Dave has you under good council. If its any conciliation, your corals looked beautiful before :)

igoblox

DaveK - Ok I will do another change today. I already have a carbon bag in the second chamber.
I already tossed the anemone during the first water change. I will go ahead and remove the brain and torch today during the water change.
Thanks for all your help.

PSU4ME- Yeah its been a tough lesson to learn....and thanks it helps a little :/

DaveK

Don't feel too bad about this. Just about everyone that has had a reef system for any length of time has had a disaster in one form or another. The important thing is to correct the problem, and keep going. Many people that have fantastic reefs today had more than a few crashes along the way.

gbose

Igoblox,

Sorry to hear what happened. I urge you to use RO/DI water from now on. Or just distilled water from you local supermarket. Good luck, guy!!

GBose

igoblox

On the road to recovery....
Thanks again for all the help.

Just to be clear...using an RO/DI all I need to do is add salt?
(unless of course I am topping off)

jerry26

rodi is purified so just add salt for WC. dont throw out the torch, flip it upside down and with the old heads in the sand and sometimes new heads will sprout out of the branch.

igoblox

DOH! I just threw out that torch skeleton on Wednesday! Wish I would have checked back sooner :/

Elizabeth94

I wish you the best of luck with your tank.. I am no use of suggestions since I am a noob. How do they look now?

igoblox

Well the Goniopora and Button polps are all that survived but they are back to their former glory. Thank tank just settled down last week.
I have some very small nubs of mushrooms still hanging on the rocks...they may come back to life.
Heres to hoping!