I have 2 questions , I need help with

mtsully71

2 questions,

Tank will be cycle by end of weekend, I have a BRS dual reactor the I have not started running yet, should I go ahead and fire it up? or wait until after I do my big water change on Sunday?

Next question, I have never moved corals to another tank, I know I need to set my LED's at around 20% and raise it about 5% a week. Is it safe to move the majority of the Softie/LPS/SPS and place them all in the bottom of the tank, or should I move them over the course of a month or so?

My fish I am going to move over a month, to slowly bring up the bio load

All responses derogatory, profane and belittling.......... or just highly educated and well advised forum responses will be appreciated :)

thanks for the help
Sully

drumlife05

(A) I would wait on firing up the reactor until your newly cycled tank has settled a bit (i.e. stable water params for at least a week). You don't want to make the mistake of compensating or correcting for changes in water params that will normally adjust on their own.

(B) IMO I think it would be safest to move your inverts over 2-3 at a time every week or two to give your tank's bio filtration the chance to catch up.

Good luck!

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Regarding the light intensity, you can always make a rapid decrease, but you must always acclimate up slowly. Putting the corals down on the sandbed is another way to reduce the intensity.

I agree with drumlife05, the more important thing to do is to transition slowly due to the filtration.

Jeff

StirCrayzy

I would wait a bit after the cycle to move stuff in and to hook up the reactor. The reactor more or less could interfere with the stabilization depending on your media choices, which are ...????
As for light acclimation, i don't see a need to do both turning down the light, and start corals on the bottom. I would pick one or the other.W
When starting fresh you have a unique option presented that only happens that once. You could actually place everything where you want then adjust up or down as you increase the main ligthing, depending on the individual coral's reactions. Once you find that sweet spot, the best acclimation method for new stuff is moving new corals from bottom to top. That way none of the other previously acclimated corals are affected.

mtsully71

OK, I follow what your saying, however after close review of the tank tonight I see a couple little green hair type algae that I would very likely say is some type of bryopsis, def not GHA, very small mind you but fits the profile, feather type, different branches. Very hard to get a good picture. Maybe its time for a WC and and phosphate test hmm?

IMG_0282.jpg

Last edited: