I got the mix wrong, my mistake but can it be rescued?

Discussion in 'Red Sea' started by sammoj, May 3, 2018.

1. sammoj

sammoj New Member

Hi

I have setup a new 500l tank and filled it with RO with the intention of mixing the first lot of salt in the tank, obviously prior to maturing and adding livestock.

I made a big mistake by heating the water then starting to add Red Sea Coral Pro salt with the powerhead on 50%....I added about 2Kg of salt and now have a very white tank full of calcium precipitate. I realise now i can’t do this with the Coral Pro salt as it is Calcium heavy and if i leave the powerhead off it settles onto the sand and the rock and the water clears.

What I need to know is can i rescue this tank? I have tried a 20% water change attempting to syphon the settled calcium and it did improve a bit but not enough.

I have now got some standard Red Sea salt so am ready to mix the ASW but really don’t want to do it if i am going to have to drain it out.

Anybody got any clever ideas how i can either get this calcium out of the water or pursuade it to be absorbed by the RO water?

Thanks

John

2. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi John.
    Whilst unsightly this should not cause any issues, you would of lost roughly 3% of the elevated levels of Calcium and Carbonate ( Alk) as the white precipitate is actually Calcium Carbonate which will not dissolve, in time it will bind to substrate so should not be an issue, it will also filter out.

Pat24601 and nanoreefing4fun like this.
  3. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

While it is possible to just ignore it and in time it will go away, you might want to start over. Since this is a new tank you don't have anything living in it yet, so it's not too bad a job to drain all the water, clean everything and start over. It's some work but doable. This is going to be the best "rescue" to actually remove the stuff.

Pat24601 likes this.
  4. Pat24601

Pat24601 Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Probably what I would do. At this point, I’ve started over so many tanks I don’t even consider it a big deal.

5. sammoj

sammoj New Member

Thanks everyone, @RedSeaKev I just carried on and used a filter sock/floss & the skimmer to clean the water which has cleared up nicely and is now maturing with Red Sea Reef Mature kit.

The only thing I am slightly puzzled about on the mature kit is I have only seen Ammonia at around 0.5, Nitirite peaked at 0.5 and Nitrate 40ppm. Levels are now at 0 Ammonia, 0 NItirite and 30 Nitrate on Day 7 with a 5% water change due tonight. It looks like the tank has cycled but at day 7 I do not have any Algae or Diatoms yet.

The tank has Caribsea Pink sand in it at a depth of 5cm, About 40Kg of Real Reef Rock with Red Sea Blue salt at 35ppm and Alkalinity is currently 9.5dKh dropped from 11.6dKh over 4 days so I have not had any buffer yet as dKh is above the 8.4dKh in the manual.

Does this sound like its maturing correctly?

John

6. Uncle99

Uncle99 Well-Known Member

Seems correct to me although the process time varies widely.
    As long as you Alk is in the range (8-12) I would not chase numbers as the tank has been running only 7 days if I understand you correctly.
    I would just continue to let your beneficial bacteria population grow
    and this will reduce your Nitrate, slowly, down to hopefully a 2-5ppm range with phosphate in the .02-.04 approximate range. I have not seen a tank that did not go through the ugly stages, I am thinking 4-8 weeks, but sometimes this hobby does not always follow a set pattern, but mostly...

The cycle is a point in time whereas the systems ability to export waste is balanced to the nutrients entering the tank. As new stuff is put in the tank, the exporter population must grow to accommodate the change.

The ugly stages can be very ugly or not so bad, the more you keep excess nutrients in control (i.e. Nitrate/phosphate) and limit light, the more ugly stages will reflect the not so bad type...

You may want to start a new thread called Xxxxxxxxx build as the members will be interested in your new build.....they help me so much.....the people on this site are excellent!

Cheers

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Pat24601 likes this.