I got Grease....and no Olivia Newton John!

PNW Reefer

Quick question. Running a 30 gal reef with a Fluval 206 can for filtration and a Koralia 425 for water movement. I plan on adding an extra pump for more water agitation, just haven't done it yet. Did my water change yesterday and noticed that I had a greasy film on the surface of my water. Can anyone recommend a skimmer to remedy that film or a different approach?

DaveK

If your just trying to keep the surface film away, all you really need to do is direct the output from your filter or circulation pump so that the water surface is rippled. This is often all you need.

If your going to get a skimmer, your going to need a HOB (Hang On Back) skimmer that has a surface skimming intake. Many of the lower price ones do not, so shop carefully.

You could also get an Eheim Skim 350 surface skimmer. It will remove the surface film, but it seems sort of a waste to put that on a SW reef system. You'd be better off putting that money toward an actual skimmer.

frisbee

Those Koralia 425 pumps definitely leave something to be desired when it comes dow to GPH IME. I'd definitely get another one or perhaps two and position them somewhere in your tank so that the top of the water is quite turbulent. A far as a skimmer goes one that skims the surface of the water will definitely help, but it's not really a necessity IMO. Something like an AquaticLife 115 Internal Protein skimmer is definitely worth looking at. Not too big, not too expensive and pretty efficient if you ask me. I've got one on my 20 gallon long and it's doing a bang up job.

Btw for a quick fix regarding that surface film you can always lay a paper towel down flat on the surface of the water. Once it becomes saturated just remove it slowly and repeat if needed. You might want to turn off all your pumps when you do this though. GL.