i got a problem and i need help........

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh my dt will take 10 gallons. My sump 20. Just gotta fill the sump enough to make sure it doesn't overflow. As for return line syphon I drill 2, 1/4" holes to break the syphon. Small enough holes don't blow squat into the dt. Sas where r ya pal. !

.............stay thirsty my friend.

Oh my dt will take 10 gallons. My sump 20. Just gotta fill the sump enough to make sure it doesn't overflow. As for return line syphon I drill 2, 1/4" holes to break the syphon. Small enough holes don't blow squat into the dt. Sas where r ya pal. !

Never mind, we aint' on the same page......

steved13

PREMIUM
So, you run your tanks low on water in case of possible flooding issues? Most have their tanks filled so water line is not seen by anyone. ??

No the water line is not visible. It's just not at the very top of the tank, it's down a little, but still hidden by the top molding/brace.

A lot will depend on the size of the sump and tank.

For instance, If you have a 20 gallon sump and a 55 gallon tank, you might run the sump at half, and the pump at half of that, so now only 5 gallons can be pumped from the sump, with the water level in the tank at such that 5 gallons or more can fit. You run the drains from the tank so that if the pump stops, less than 10 gallons can drain. That covers the 2 most common scenarios.

If I had to make the choice, I would let the water line show, and cover it another way, rather than know, I'm coming home to a flood someday.

reefjunkie420

i have no problems when my tank is running.......my tank pumps just as fast as it drains....... and my problem isnt when the power is off....... the problem is i have to manualy start a syphon on my system and if im not home when the power goes out then turns back on there is no syphon on my over flow so then my pump overflows my tank....... and i dont under stand how you can have your DT so the water line dont show but you still have room for 5 gallons....... blows my mind

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
So u break syphon on ur overflow. U have pics so we can address that issue? I keep a syphon when power goes out.

steved13

PREMIUM
....... and i dont under stand how you can have your DT so the water line dont show but you still have room for 5 gallons....... blows my mind

It's not that hard to understand if you give it a try. tank - 36" by 18" with 1" below full to the brim leaves 2.8 gallons of room 2" below leaves 5.6 gallons. Again, I have no idea the dimensions of your tank.

You need to have an overflow that restarts itself. I can't imagine a proper situation where an oveflow would need a siphon break. Returns use siphon breaks but not overflows?

lbiminiblue

i have no problems when my tank is running.......my tank pumps just as fast as it drains....... and my problem isnt when the power is off....... the problem is i have to manualy start a syphon on my system and if im not home when the power goes out then turns back on there is no syphon on my over flow so then my pump overflows my tank....... and i dont under stand how you can have your DT so the water line dont show but you still have room for 5 gallons....... blows my mind

If the power goes out the pump isn't running!!!?!?!??!