i got a problem and i need help........

reefjunkie420

hello...... just need help figuring out a way so if theres a black out my tank wont over flow....... came home today to find out there was a black out in my area and water all over the place i was just wondering if there is a way to prevent that in the future...... any iformotin will be nice....... THANKS :(

StirCrayzy

You probably should post your system specs, especially sump and overflow design specifics.
Many steps can be taken to avoid this, and it all depends on what EXACTLY exists to work with.
Dont forget, a picture is worth a thousand words.

reefjunkie420

well i got a 30gal with a 10gal refug/sump my overflow is made of pvc and flex tube nothin to fancy straight from my tank to the sump. my return has a hole drilled in it so it wont over flow my sump... my sump is a diy 5 chamber sump once again nothin to fancy sory for the lack of detail but dont have a camera for pic..... the problem isnt when the power is off...... its when all my pumps turn back on.... due to syphon break....... how can i keep a syphon...........oh and i built an actual over flow box inside my tank

Last edited:

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Look at different overflows like mentioned above. Most don't break syphon.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

reefjunkie420

thanks i think i figured out my problem.....im gonna try to hook up an air hose to my powerhead and drill a hole in my overflow tube and give that a try see if that should creat a syphon..... let you know the results and thanks for that link it was very helpfull.....

thanks i think i figured out my problem.....im gonna try to hook up an air hose to my powerhead and drill a hole in my overflow tube and give that a try see if that should creat a syphon..... let you know the results and thanks for that link it was very helpfull.....
:thumbup:
Got mine hooked up using a Aqualifter Pump.

lbiminiblue

hello...... just need help figuring out a way so if theres a black out my tank wont over flow....... came home today to find out there was a black out in my area and water all over the place i was just wondering if there is a way to prevent that in the future...... any iformotin will be nice....... THANKS :(

I imagine you don't have built in overflows...to prevent that i drilled a hole SUPER close to the surface of the water so if there was a power outtage the level in the sump only rose about an eighth of an inch.

reefjunkie420

I imagine you don't have built in overflows...to prevent that i drilled a hole SUPER close to the surface of the water so if there was a power outtage the level in the sump only rose about an eighth of an inch.

yeah its built in and i have the hole drilled as well thats not my problem though....... my problem is when my system starts back up my overflow has no syphon and my system pumps all the water i got in my sump to my tank cousing it to flood my tank...... tried hookin up my powerhead but its not workin for some reason when i hook an air hose to it it doesnt produce bubbles......

lbiminiblue

yeah its built in and i have the hole drilled as well thats not my problem though....... my problem is when my system starts back up my overflow has no syphon and my system pumps all the water i got in my sump to my tank cousing it to flood my tank...... tried hookin up my powerhead but its not workin for some reason when i hook an air hose to it it doesnt produce bubbles......

wait if you have a blackout won't the pump turn off also???

engineer goby

:stars: I'm confused here, are you saying your return pump is pumping the water into your display tank faster then it drains into the tank?

StirCrayzy

Not enough pressure in overflow to self start the siphon,(push the air pocket through.) therefore no draining when power returns.

This is One reason i am choosing the BeanAnimal style. Open channel backup!

steved13

PREMIUM
Steve's first law of sumps:

Never have enough water in your sump to overflow the tank, and never have enough water available from the tank to overflow the sump.

Adjust your levels so the tank has enough room for all the water from the sump, and the sump has enough room for all the water that could drain from the tank. Drains can stop (as your well aware), and pumps can fail, with proper levels neither should be a flooding event.

Steve's first law of sumps:

Never have enough water in your sump to overflow the tank, and never have enough water available from the tank to overflow the sump.

Adjust your levels so the tank has enough room for all the water from the sump, and the sump has enough room for all the water that could drain from the tank. Drains can stop (as your well aware), and pumps can fail, with proper levels neither should be a flooding event.

So, you run your tanks low on water in case of possible flooding issues? Most have their tanks filled so water line is not seen by anyone. ??

dmatt88

So, you run your tanks low on water in case of possible flooding issues? Most have their tanks filled so water line is not seen by anyone. ??

Nope. Tanks filled high. Just drill a syphon break to elude the common misconception.

Nope. Tanks filled high. Just drill a syphon break to elude the common misconception.

I did, but it still takes out a couple gallons before break, if you drill it to high, it sucks in air, and you get bubbles blowing all over the place. Also, he said, not enough water in sump to overflow the DT incase your syphon breaks and it doesn't go back to sump, thats the one that has me questioning.

dmatt88

Just as the Moody blues said so well. Its a question of balance.

Just as the Moody blues said so well. Its a question of balance.

Can't wrap my thoughts around that one though. you would have to leave enough room in your DT for what.....?? 3-5 Gallons of sump water to go into the DT in case of an syphon break? Most don't leave room for any water for the DT to take extra in. And If i was to leave enough room in the sump for just that much water in the sump to return, My pump would be at the top of the sump, and you would have to watch that water line in the sump like a hawk, or else you would risk the water going below the pump, and therefore sucking in air.
Make sense?