Hydrometer Help Hneeded

SaltNoob

So, when I do a water change I need to mix salt and water until my hydrometer reading is the same in both the tank and the soon to be added water?
Thanks again to everyone for their answers.
With any luck I'll figure this whole saltie thing out enough to stop bothering y'all.

pablomay28

So, when I do a water change I need to mix salt and water until my hydrometer reading is the same in both the tank and the soon to be added water?
Thanks again to everyone for their answers.
With any luck I'll figure this whole saltie thing out enough to stop bothering y'all.

Best advice get a refractometer. Depending on what you plan on having in the tank fish only or corals you will want the specific gravity between 1.024-1.026. Refractometers are more acurate. Hyroneter arms often stick or fail. If you plan on raising or dropping specific gravity I recommend going up or down .001 per water change untill you reach your desired level.

SaltNoob

Best advice get a refractometer. Depending on what you plan on having in the tank fish only or corals you will want the specific gravity between 1.024-1.026. Refractometers are more acurate. Hyroneter arms often stick or fail. If you plan on raising or dropping specific gravity I recommend going up or down .001 per water change untill you reach your desired level.

Hey, P28!
Thanks for the info. Although I'm not sure what a refractometer is. I don't plan on having coral anytime in the near future. If ever? Fish and rock. This is what my reading currently is...
Decent enough?
Also, until i can get a refracto, when I do a water change I want the bucket water to have the save reading correct?

Thanks for your time, brother.

Attachments

• IMG_20150901_110355.jpg
    IMG_20150901_110355.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 7

pablomay28

For fish only i guess it will do. In that case yes your bucket should read the same as your tank.

SaltNoob

Thanks, P28.
I had this tank thrust upon me and am trying to get it up to par and take care of it until I can find someone (with the knowledge) to adopt it.
Thanks, again!

Adrienne

How do you top your tank up? Just be careful not to add salt water to replace evaporated water. That would be my biggest worry matching newly mixed salt water to the water in the tank.

Drs2140

I take two five gallon buckets, fill one with RO water. Add 2.5 cups of Red Sea pro (this will mix to 1.025). Add a old power head or some kind of pump to mix the salt. l check an hour later to make sure the salinity is right with a refractometor . Let mix over night. The next day I'll double check the salinity and add a heater to match the tank temp. I will then take my second bucket and syphon out water to match the same amount of water I've mixed in my other bucket. This way I add the exact same I took out. I personally use a pump with a hose to refill the tank but you can do it with a cup and add back slowly. I also do all my maintenance during the water change. I'm a firm a believer that the less you put your hands in the tank, the happier the inhabitants.

SaltNoob

I take two five gallon buckets, fill one with RO water. Add 2.5 cups of Red Sea pro (this will mix to 1.025). Add a old power head or some kind of pump to mix the salt. l check an hour later to make sure the salinity is right with a refractometor . Let mix over night. The next day I'll double check the salinity and add a heater to match the tank temp. I will then take my second bucket and syphon out water to match the same amount of water I've mixed in my other bucket. This way I add the exact same I took out. I personally use a pump with a hose to refill the tank but you can do it with a cup and add back slowly. I also do all my maintenance during the water change. I'm a firm a believer that the less you put your hands in the tank, the happier the inhabitants.
I read that distilled water could be used in place of RO. Thoughts?

DaveK

I read that distilled water could be used in place of RO. Thoughts?

Yes distilled water can be used in place of RO/DI water, but it gets expensive fast. Long term most people are better off getting their own RO/DI unit.

SaltNoob

Yes distilled water can be used in place of RO/DI water, but it gets expensive fast. Long term most people are better off getting their own RO/DI unit.

I see.
A very quick search turns up this guy here from Petco(?).
I'm sure there are several on the market. Would you recommend one from a petstore or perhaps something a bit more substantial from Lowes or HD? Also... How do these set up? Attach to faucet? Manually fill? Etc...
Thanks for any and all info!

Attachments

• IMG_20150903_184251.JPG
    IMG_20150903_184251.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 7

cracker

Hey salt, There are many places online and other places to get a decent ro/di water filter, so shop around 1st. Remember Your saltwater critters like stability. If Your a little high or low on salinity. Make sure You match what's in the tank it when doing water changes. It can be difficult to get right at the standard 1.025. Just make changes slowly and don't sweat getting it just right. You have just fish and rock. They are forgiving on changes. Remember they all like stability. I'm sure others here with more knowledge will suggest where to find a decent quality/priced water filter. Your own filter will pay for it's self in cost and convenience. You can install one in just about any faucet in the house.