Hydroids? Need help with ID -

Delareef123

Hey all, I am currently in the middle of cycling my tank and notice this guy on my rock. The nitrites in the tank are around 10ppm so I doubt this is a "healthy" critter. I have also noticed other single stocks sprouting from the other side of the same rock.
since there is no live stock I can easily remove the rock if you think I should irradiate! 20150505_202519.jpg 20150505_202530.jpg 20150505_202546.jpg

Delareef123

Diana, the picture on the lower left is the closest ID I have seen so far. It's simply missing the feather feeders. The bodies are a dead on match to watch I have in my tank. So I would have to say with great certainty that it's Colonial Hydroids.

Thanks everyone for your support. Great community here.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They may be dead but I'd REMOVE to be on the safe side.
My tank is over 2 years running & I'm still discovering critters that I didn't know I had. That's without any new additions to my tank :confused:
YES, RS has helped me from before I put water in my tank....I know my tank would not be as great as it is without the support & advice I got HERE.
I'm very grateful so I stick around & pay it forward when I can. :)
:crowd: :grouphug5::crowd:

Delareef123

they are soft and move in the current. I think I should be safe then sorry. I am just cycling the tank so the removal will be easy. Diana may also be correct about them being dead (just empty tubes)

Delareef123

1430961027665.jpg Well i picked a piece off. Not soft but not hard. No movement when touched. Doesn't seem "alive" so could be algae or old carcass. Found another crop of the tubes. Will keep an eye out for any movement.

Oxylebius

I also posted on your thread. If they are growing larger each week, I think they are either red or brown macro algae. Getting rid of them now is good. Or let your cuc eat them. If they were really tiny then dead hydroids may be the case. But they look much too large for hydroids.