Hydrogen peroxide as a tool for combating algae.

carlfike

After having problems with algae for a while I stumbled upon some information about using hydrogen peroxide as a tool to help eliminate it.
I thought that I should write up a nice post as a guide and to share my experience.

Hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) is basically water with an extra oxygen atom. Hence the bubble we normally associate with it.
There are a couple effective ways to use it that I will go over here. Remember though its only a tool. Finding the root cause of the algae an eliminating it will ensure that you don't continue to have outbreaks. In my case the dry rock I used to build the tank was leaching phosphate and silicate.
The peroxide used for my tests was the 3% stuff readily available at any Walgreens, Walmart, grocery store. DO Not use the higher concentration lab grade peroxide.

Using h2o2 as a dip:
When purchasing live rock or coral frag more often than not there is some form of algae present. Using a dip of hydrogen peroxide solution can eliminate it before the items are added to the tank.
Using Rodi water or fresh mixed saltwater a dilution of up to 25% peroxide can be used. 15-30 minute dips, no longer than 30 at higher % mixes. The algae on the rock will begin to bubble much like the peroxide does when used on a wound.
A word of caution some sps corals will lose some color during this but they do rebound quickly once added to the tank. I have observed no ill effects on any zoas, mushrooms, or Lps.

Using h2o2 as a spot treatment:
For instances where the coral or rock can not be removed from the tank, drain the water level down to expose the items to be treated. Mix up your 25% solution and using a turkey baster or syringe bath the algae for 3-5 mins. Refill the tank. After this the algae will begin to turn a light brown and should also bubble slightly and within a day or so will die.

H2o2 as a whole tank treatment:
In my case a whole tank treatment was required. When treating your whole tank add 1-1.5ml of peroxide per 10g of water. This can added directly to a high flow in the sump. This treatment should be used no longer than 7 days at a time with a 7 days period in between treatment. The algae should cease growing begin to recede by day 2-3. Also during the treatment manually remove as much as possible daily and run filter socks to avoid releasing the bound up nutrients in the algae back into the system. I also ran carbon during the treatment.

Why does peroxide work as an effective algae treatment? Glad you asked. The peroxide will increase the redox potential of the water in the aquarium. It basically overloads the photosynthetic process of the algae and breaks down very quickly into water and oxygen. This works on just about any type of algae. I've also noticed in my experiment that my cheato was not effected.
By far the most effective method is spot treating along with manual removal.
I plan on adding some pictures of the processes in the near future.
Please feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Remember though hydrogen peroxide is a tool. It does not replace proper maintenance and water changes.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very nice write up :)

I've had GREAT success using it for "GHA" covered frags. Below are some of my "quick" pics... I wish I had taken the time to do more

Before H2O2 dip
DSC00331.jpg

After H2O2 dip
DSC00341.jpg

And here is a "rough" video series of the process in action (Dipping with H2O2)

carlfike

Its amazing isn't it? For how cheap it is and how well it works with no side effects I'm surprised its not more popular.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Lee

Do you know if this will kill off macro algae? Should the refugium be shut down in the case of a full tank treatment?

steved13

PREMIUM
Great write up, seems simple enough.

When treating your whole tank add 1-1.5ml of peroxide per 10g of water. This can added directly to a high flow in the sump. This treatment should be used no longer than 7 days at a time with a 7 days period in between treatment.

For sake of clarity...Is that a one time dose of 1-1.5ml per 10 gallon, or each day, or?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've done this a few times in the past and although I think it is great......My experience has shown me that corals do suffer some color loss. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes only the new growth colors up. I was doing the external dip process with a 50/50 tank water/H202 solution for 3 minites.

Algae was dead but i think it hurt some of my corals. For example, my AOG zoas "greyed out" on me.....just something to keep in mind.

carlfike

Great write up, seems simple enough.

For sake of clarity...Is that a one time dose of 1-1.5ml per 10 gallon, or each day, or?

Once a day for 7 days Max.

Do you know if this will kill off macro algae? Should the refugium be shut down in the case of a full tank treatment?

I have observed no issues with my cheato. Its seems as healthy as ever.

carlfike

I've done this a few times in the past and although I think it is great......My experience has shown me that corals do suffer some color loss. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes only the new growth colors up. I was doing the external dip process with a 50/50 tank water/H202 solution for 3 minites.

Algae was dead but i think it hurt some of my corals. For example, my AOG zoas "greyed out" on me.....just something to keep in mind.

50% is a pretty harsh mix.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My dips are always 50/50 mix and yes I noted some discoloration on some of the more bright coral but I've yet to lose even a single zoa from this dip and all colored back up in a couple of weeks.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah I've never lost one but i've seen the vibrance leave after a few dips....whcih supports this as being a short term solution.....find the cause!

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
Love this info, I have, by dipping too long, had adverse affects from this treatment. BUT, set a loud alarm, and I've not seen anything better for cleaning off frags! Great info!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Was going to start a thread as I have a frag plug of zoas that looks like Bryopsis is growing on.
I really hate just tossing something as pretty as these little zoas out to die but I feel like they might be a ticking time bomb with the type of algae I think I'm seeing.
Here's the frag (zoas were open until I moved it closer to get an algae picture)
4a640b0785f1dbfef20e79f935c7a711_zpsb82310db.jpg

I think I will try the Hydrogen Peroxide dip instead of just tossing it in the trash. I just can't stand the idea of outright killing these little zoas. They've been in my tank a long, long, time but haven't multiplied like others do.

reefer gladness

Definitely looks like bryopsis, I've gotten rid of it before by raising magnesium with Kent Tech-M. My LFS did a vid on it:

[video=youtube;5tDG-qlFOGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDG-qlFOGU[/video]

slfcaptain

I've done the peroxide dip on zoas and it worked with no color loss. Just keep an eye on the time and dont leave them too long.

steve

Snid

Hmmm... Very interesting. Doesn't hurt any of the little critters like peanut worms, tube worms, and such?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hmmm... Very interesting. Doesn't hurt any of the little critters like peanut worms, tube worms, and such?
I'll treat in a small bowl OUTSIDE of the tank, rinse good & then maybe put the plug into the refugium for a couple of days. We'll see what happens. This is the only Bryopsis (I HOPE :fingerx:) that I've had in my tank.
If I find it in places that I can't get out without tearing down my rock scape, then I'll have to think about what to do. Yikes, I sure hope that doesn't happen :lookaroun

Snid

Yeah... Go for it, Diana! Save Ferris! I mean... Save the Zoas!

I am more or less curious if I do the whole tank dosing of Hydrogen Peroxide, will it hurt all the nice little things in my LR? My GHA is having too much fun. I manage it, but it doesn't seem to be slowing. I think my sand bed is leeching silicates too, as it gets diatoms quite frequently as well. I know it's a new tank, and I know the uglies are expected. It's just staying stronger than I'd like. And now with Aiptasia trying to sneak in, I'm fighting that too (Peppermint Shrimp for now). Oy Vay!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Di ... having learned the hard way, I would (run not walk) ;) and pull the frag & put it in the trashcan. Small things like this picked up on a frag, have ruined many a beautiful tank. That's my thoughts... I pick up my 1st aiptasia on a frag and have never successfully wiped them 100% out since... I didn't throw away my little $20 frag, for me... it was lesson learned and one I won't repeat.

See what others think...

Real Bryopsis can turn into a nightmare :look:

Mike Johnson

I have dipped zoas in a 25% H2O2 dip for five minutes with great success. It even seems like a vitamin to the zoas. SPS will not tolerate it, so don't do it.

I know there's a lot of people here that are members of the crabs are evil society, but Scarlet Hermit Crabs will eat Bryopsis and hair algae and even diatoms. It takes quite a few of them, but it works. Pull what you can off first then take the hermits and put them where you want them to work. Also, IME I have never seen a Scarlet Hermit Crab damage anything. They are the most reef safe crab. Also it's important to lower your phosphate and nitrates, of course.

Snid

Thanks, Mike.

I'll think hard about the crabs. I was just trying to avoid the crab vs. snail wars. I know that with enough shells, they should leave the snails alone. Heh. The balance of life.

Gotta get that Phosban Reactor put together and running. Maybe I'll take it in to work tomorrow and fiddle during my breaks. Maybe it will be enough to turn the tide.