How to remove Anemone from rock?

gmshady

I bought a bubble tip anemone that has now outgrown my tank.
The local fish store has agreed to take it back, but I don't know how to go about dislodging it from the rock it's attached to.

Anybody know how to accomplish it? I'd just take the whole rock to the fish store, but he's attached to a nice large piece of live rock that I'd rather not part with.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Greg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I've heard some people have directed a power head stream at the foot and basal area to get it to let go. A firm, but gentle stream, not anything that is going to cause damage. Good luck!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
There are several methods... icecubes, powerhead, prying off... and one of my favorite methods I like to use if the rock isn't too large...
- gently raise the rock out of the water then back into the water with the anemone upside down) over and over again. The anemone will let go of the rock in approx 5-10 min.

sam wise

just part with the rock. I'm sure your LFS will give you one in exchange. If you cause any damage to it, it will probably not survive

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
IME, BTA's are very tough. I have had them to recover from being half-blended in a power head to splitting into 3rd's.

BoomerD

Good luck. Over the years, I've tried ice cubes on the foot, powerheads blasting at them, picking at them with a credit card to get it started, etc...NO LUCK if they don't want to let go...I had one try to attach to my hand one day...THAT was an eerie feeling...like a bazillion tiny suction cups...
MAYBE move the rock to someplace where the anemone won't like the water flow or lighting, THEN, IF you're lucky, you can catch it while it's moving...MAYBE...

lcstorc

I have given up the fight on several occasions and just removed the rock to avoid the stress. In each case the anemone has let go of the rock during transportation. Then I just put the rock back in the tank. I think the transfer stresses them enough to make them let go.

jimeluiz

We've had good success with the credit card coax -- but we've also found another approach that seems to balance irritation with real localized stress.

We have a plastic fork attached to a long stick, made up to help harvest nusance algae from the surface of the sand (which we gratefully don't have to do very often when things are going right.)

If we gently poke a bit at the anemone's foot it will retracts some and make it possible to slip the fork (or now the credit card) between the foot and the rock. Patience and a stomach for torture gets us to victory...

Good luck.

gmshady

Thanks to all for the suggestions about how to dislodge my anemone from his rock. The credit card method did the trick.

Greg